Is any of this alcohol safe to drink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj1

Cook
I'm trying to determine whether it's safe to drink liquor (rum, whiskey, vodka, etc.) and mixers/blenders (blood mary, mudslide, pina colada, etc.) that were exposed to fluctuating outdoor temperatures. The liquor and mixers aren't mine, so I can't just throw them away. They belong to my grandmother who insists they are all safe to consume. I just don't want anyone getting ill. If I can prove to her that they're unsafe to drink, then they can be tossed out.

All of the liquor and mixers were exposed to fluctuating summer and winter temperatures for two years as they were left in a shed. The average daytime summer temp. around here is in the low to mid 90s Fahrenheit, and there are usually one to two weeks of temps right around 100. The nights get down to upper 60s to lower 70s.

It would seem to me that exposing an alcholic or non-alcoholic mixer/blender to those kinds of temperatures would create bacteria and could possibly cause someone to get sick. Most of the mixers either have dairy (cream) and/or fruit juices. Shouldn't the mixers be thrown in the trash due to the high possibility of bacteria (or something similar)?

What about the liquor? Would that still be safe to drink?

Like I said before, these don't belong to me so I can't just throw them out. I need to prove whether or not they are safe to drink. My fear is that she's going to make someone a drink and they'll end up getting very sick.

I would think the plain alcohol would be fine. The mixers, I would definitely toss.

Last edited:
Liquor = yes. As a proof to it's, umm proof, vintage whiskey was taken from Antarctica, from Shackletons camp, and was good to go. Liquor is made to age/evolve, that's why in the period of evaporation, the levels drop, and that is the Angels Share, or, for the "Spirits".

mixers= no. Not even worth the trouble. Poop can 'em, and no worries.

Alcohol is an antiseptic. Anything over 20 proof or so will kill bacteria. (My estimate on the 10%, I am not an authoritative source.)

I'd toss the mixers too, not because they're unsafe but because they've probably become stale. Too cheap to even worry about it.

Whiskey, vodka and rum are not only safe from bacteria in their usual proof (80-87) but are also reasonable to use as an antiseptic in emergency situations. Men have been doing it for centuries!

If the mixers were opened then toss them. The alcohol should be fine.

I drink beer during the summer. Beer with shweppes is also acceptable.

Homemade red wine cooked with spices during the winter

and ouzo or tsipouro with a salad or some mezes or appetizer

Haven't had any good ouzo since I was in high school, some 40 odd years ago. A friend of mine was of Greek descent, name of Chlomoudis. His grandmother, who spoke little English, would have a bunch of his friends over for supper from time to time. Oh, how that woman could cook!

Alcohol is an antiseptic. Anything over 20 proof or so will kill bacteria. (My estimate on the 10%, I am not an authoritative source.)
Actually, some bacteria can thrive in even a 15-20% alcoholic beverage. Consider wine, which contains active cultures of lactic acid bacteria. But none of them are pathogenic. If the alcohol level is above 20%, it should be fine. I'd be more concerned with the taste.

Safe to drink and tasty to drink are two different things. If the containers aren't bulging and no one cares what the stuff tastes like, it probably OK to drink. Canned milk sometimes causes a can to bulge and is probably not safe. I think the dairy mixes would be tossed from my Grandma's shed.
Grandma is going to "make some one drink"?

What about alcohol like peach flavored brandy or Kahlua French Vanilla liqueur(40 proof)? Would those be safe or not?

What about alcohol like peach flavored brandy or Kahlua French Vanilla liqueur(40 proof)? Would those be safe or not?
I would think both would be alright. Peach Brandy is just brandy with peach flavoring added, and I don't believe the Kahlua has anything in it with a short shelf life.

I would think both would be alright. Peach Brandy is just brandy with peach flavoring added, and I don't believe the Kahlua has anything in it with a short shelf life.
+1

Not like Baileys, Amarula, Advocaat, rompope, or other drinks with dairy included.

Back
Top Bottom