"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 321
though i try not to heat and re-chill beer, it is largely a myth that beer will become "skunked" if left to warm then chilled again....light is the main enemy of beer, not heat.....that is why many brewers choose dark bottles....so, i dont think i would purposely leave beer in a hot trunk, but you don't need to worry as much as people tend to believe....just put it back in the fridge and it will be fine

How Does a Beer Get Skunky? : A different way to end up stinking drunk - CHOW

Skunked Beer - BeerAdvocate

http://tech.mit.edu/archives/VOL_089...S0227_P007.pdf

(yes, i realize the last link is extremely old...i find it more funny than helpful...but at least it gives the opinion of a major brewer)
__________________

__________________
TheNoodleIncident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 280
I'm not talking about it smelling/tasting like skunk. I'm talking about it making you puking sick. You don't want to learn that the hard way (like I did, many moons ago).
__________________

__________________
apple*tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 321
you sure that was because of the heat? i can't think of why heated beer would make you physically sick....it could have been something else

ive had "bad" beer before with no problems (im sure anyone who has gone to college has)....and i think many of us would be surprised to learn that alot of the beer we buy at the store "cold" was warm/hot at some point
__________________
TheNoodleIncident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
....and i think many of us would be surprised to learn that alot of the beer we buy at the store "cold" was warm/hot at some point
The brewerys are regional in order to cut down on the shipping time. It's chilled at the end of the brewing process, it's chilled during brewery storage, it's chilled in refrigerated trucks between the brewery and the stores, and then placed into refrigerated display cases. The primary reason is to keep the carbonation under control, but there is also a minor flavor issue. With cut-throat national and international competition, the brewery's profits demand it.

I think many of us would be surprised to learn that a lot (virtually all) of the beer we buy at the store "cold" was NEVER warm/hot at any point!
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
A bit off topic, but does anyone here remember the Peter Falk "Colombo" episode with Donald Pleasance as the murderer/winery owner? He was found out at the end because unbenownst to him, the power had gone out over the murder weekend, & thus the a/c to his wine cellars (where he'd hidden the body) which turned his precious & priceless vintages to worthless. Colombo cornered him as he was tossing the bottles over a California cliff into the sea.

One of my favorite episodes (one of the other ones being Louis Jourdan as the murdering food critic).
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #16
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
The brewerys are regional in order to cut down on the shipping time. It's chilled at the end of the brewing process, it's chilled during brewery storage, it's chilled in refrigerated trucks between the brewery and the stores, and then placed into refrigerated display cases. The primary reason is to keep the carbonation under control, but there is also a minor flavor issue. With cut-throat national and international competition, the brewery's profits demand it.

I think many of us would be surprised to learn that a lot (virtually all) of the beer we buy at the store "cold" was NEVER warm/hot at any point!
When I had my liquor store the only trucks that broght cold beer was coors. All of the others came in at ambient.
__________________
My YouTube cooking channel
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
When I had my liquor store the only trucks that broght cold beer was coors. All of the others came in at ambient.
No beer trucks delivering to Circle Ks (an American Southwest Convenience store chain) were ever unrefrigerated. But if what you say is true for your store, I wonder why Budweiser was sold to a European conglomerate while Coors remains an American company.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 280
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the heat. It wasn't quantity and everybody else was drinking the same thing without problem. It was a blazing hot summer night and I, being young and inexperienced and not knowing any better, put my beer back in the fridge to cool it down a few times. Big mistake!
__________________
apple*tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
though i try not to heat and re-chill beer, it is largely a myth that beer will become "skunked" if left to warm then chilled again....light is the main enemy of beer, not heat.....that is why many brewers choose dark bottles....so, i dont think i would purposely leave beer in a hot trunk, but you don't need to worry as much as people tend to believe....just put it back in the fridge and it will be fine

How Does a Beer Get Skunky? : A different way to end up stinking drunk - CHOW

Skunked Beer - BeerAdvocate

http://tech.mit.edu/archives/VOL_089...S0227_P007.pdf

(yes, i realize the last link is extremely old...i find it more funny than helpful...but at least it gives the opinion of a major brewer)
+1
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the heat. It wasn't quantity and everybody else was drinking the same thing without problem. It was a blazing hot summer night and I, being young and inexperienced and not knowing any better, put my beer back in the fridge to cool it down a few times. Big mistake!
There could be many other factors as to why you got sick. There is nothing about what you did with your beer that would cause you to be sick.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.