Is vodka fattening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lemonade

Saw a 2 litre light lemonade, so I'm putting it on the shopping list to give it a try, since it's also been very hot here.

let me know mish if you like it? I like lemonade so much in the summer and adding vodka seems to add something 'special'. Hope you enjoy it.

I like to mix vodka with Crystal Light. 5 calories per serving, plus the calories in vodka...not bad. I need to pick up a bottle of the Absolut Ruby Red Flavor soon. Peach Absolut rules!!!

TATTRAT said:
Beer is "a meal" in a can. Starches/carbs, nutrients, calories, vitamans...all that jazz.

I always heard there's a porkchop in every can. :LOL:

About the dehydration thing...I always keep a big insulated mug of icewater on my nightstand. I don't know whether I breath through my mouth or what, but I wake up thirsty all the time...always have since I was a child.

vodka

Erik, are you talking about brand Absolut or is that Crystal Light Absolut. Since I am not familiar with either one I would like to know if you think the Absolut Red is going to be good? I believe that is a vodka. I usually buy a Russian made vodka as my brother claims more mild?

Constance, like you I am always thirsty in morning but feel it is because I sleep w/mouth open. No one has told me I snore though. Water near your bed is good idea. I would worry I would knock it over someway. I would love some cold water when I got up.

Yes, beer has the starch because of the ingredients used in the manufacturing process. Not as much alcohol as liquor, but the starch is the main fattener.

But vodka has the sugar which can turn into fat in the body. So both of them are in the same boat. If you take a little sip of straight vodka with no ice, you will notice the sweetness that's in it.

I've been a vodka connoisseur for years. It's been my favorite liquor for a very long time. But now, I'm going to have to cut back on it and drink it only once in a while.

Pretty much, ALL liquors are fattening though. It depends on how fast it can be processed in the body or burned up. Most people after drinking don't even think about execising after drinking, so the alcohol just sits in the stomach and the sugar from it is processed into fat, which in turn, adds calories.

It makes you go to the bathroom a lot and makes you drowesy if you've had too much. This is where it works its magic, making alcohol lovers fatter than they are, or making them gain weight.

This is the main reason why diabetics are asked to curb or stop the consumption of alcohol. Because it can raise the blood's glucose level to extremely high dangerous points if it isn't done in moderation.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Three Olives

Has anyone heard of this brand of vodka? Yesterday, while browsing through the liqour department, made a quick scan of the different sales that vodka had. This brand of vodka had different flavors to chose from and the one that had no flavoring was all sold out. Anyone care to share their opinion on this brand? I surely never noticed this one before. Thanks

Is Vodka fattening?

It depends on whether you count calories or carbs. Yes, it contains calories, but it contains no carbs, so from a low carb diet point of view, no, it is not fattening. With the low carb way of thinking, you can also eat that pound of bacon, no problem. Just don't mix your vodka with anything that has sugar in it.

The reason you don't get headaches or hangovers as bad (or at all) is that vodka contains very few congeners, which are present in much higher quantities in darker alcohols, and apparently contribute mightily to alcohol-related discomfort.

The problem for me with vodka is it gives me gout, and seems to be the only thing that does so. I'd rather deal with a hangover.

Gout

My one brother and a neighbor said there is nothing as painful as gout. Can anything be done to relieve it? They have told me they just have to endure it unt il it subsides. Does Tylenol or some kind of pain reliever help at all? Not too often I hear someone has gout. Arthritis but not gout.

Thank you, Andy M. A lot of people I know want to think that there is some sort of nutritional difference between distilled liquors. They are all the same if they have the same alcoholic content. And yes, they are what we call "empty calories". Even to this day I wonder how rum -- distilled from sugar -- can have the same values as other alcohol. They are all fattening -- all empty calories are. Buy yourself a good source book and keep it on hand. Wine and beer have some nutritional values. Hubby (a diabetic) has to count every glass of beer and wine.

Okay,

Regarding gout. Gout is a crystalization of uric acids, usually around a joint. It is very painful because those crystals are like little needles poking into the surrounding tissue. While they say it is a form of arthritis, I think they're wrong, because it is at worst a temporary condition, as long as you can identify the food that is causing it.

Tylenol and other over-the-counter painkillers don't seem to help, but I have found something that does, and it is the same thing I used to relieve the constant soreness I had when I was a much younger man, and was doing weight training, which also results from the buildup of acids in the system.

There is something called "Safflowers" which is available from health food stores in gel-caps, and which helps me with both problems. This works for me, but of course now I just avoid vodka, and haven't had a problem in years. It may or may not work for your brother or neighbor.

And while I hate to disagree with people who are no doubt fine men such as your brother and neighbor, there certainly is something more painful than gout. Kidney stones. I've had both, and I would take gout any day.

Sheesh, I sound like a wreck, don't I? I'm actually pretty healthy. I haven't had even so much as a cold in years, the kidney stones were years ago, and as long as I avoid vodka, the gout is not an issue. If I can keep it this way, I'll probably live to a ripe old age, and even want to!

Kelly

Grateful

KellyM another reason to be grateful if person doesn't have this. This is so ironic as my brother also has been bothered w/kidney stones in the past. Seems only people who really are concerned when you are in pain is family and others who have experienced intense pain. I am sorry you are bothered w/this but also happy that you know how to handle it. I will surely check into this safflour at the Whole Foods where i enjoy going on regular basis. They seem to handle everything except Tylenol! Just walking in there makes me believe that this is the way it should be. Not all this processed food that is eat an run kind of life.

My brother also has limited his drinking and seems to not be bothered w/gout. I hesitate to mention it as I don't want to make him think of bad memories. I am very thankful that I can communicate on this forum as I have found out so much helpful information that people sometimes don't even care to share. Why? I can't figure. As my brother tells me so often, live and let live. But why not help someone who needs it?

Andy M, I am sure you are aware of it when your brother in law has it. I will have to limit this vodka if it has gout as side effect. That is good thing, to balance our life w/good and sometimes not so good?

ITK:

I don't believe vodka causes gout.

However, if someone already has gout, vodka may cause a flare-up.

Tropicana Sugar Free Lemonade

In the Kitchen said:
Saw a 2 litre light lemonade, so I'm putting it on the shopping list to give it a try, since it's also been very hot here.

let me know mish if you like it? I like lemonade so much in the summer and adding vodka seems to add something 'special'. Hope you enjoy it.

ITK, I tried it and liked it. The 2 litre bottle label reads:

Tropicana Sugar Free Lemonade, non-carbonated, no caffeine, made with Real Fruit Juice, a good source of vitamin C (10% per serving), 5 calories (per 8 oz serving) and sodium 65 mg - 3%.

Added Note: The label says visit smartspot.com

http://www.smartspot.com/home/home.php

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
ITK:

I don't believe vodka causes gout.

However, if someone already has gout, vodka may cause a flare-up.

No one really knows what cause gout, but I've been told that the disease IS aggravated by foods and liquids containing large or high amonts of acid - such as tomato sauce, collard greens, cabbage, broccoli, citrus fruits, cranberries and cranberry juice.

My mom had it bad during the '70s to the point where she couldn't walk for a while. She told us to rub her ankles with rubbing alcohol. That seemed to helped relieve some of her pian. Try that.

And try lowering your intake of acidity in your diet. See if that helps at all.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Good!!

mish, thanks for letting me know. No ill effects? It sure tastes good when it is so hot outside. Now this thread tells me citrus fruits may cause gout? Just when I find something I want to enjoy. I do appreciate the warning and will try to exercise caution when I drink my lemonade and vodka. Now seems I don't want one w/o the other. That isn't good sign But then I take what people tell me seriously. mish, I don't want to lead you down the wrong road. Just wanted you to enjoy little t hings in life. Like I have to. I am sure glad you liked it too.

I did a little reading on the subject of gout. Here is a link to a National Institutes of Health site on what it is and what causes it.

According to this link, alcohol does not cause gout but can aggrevate the situation as excessive use of alcohol reduces the body's ability to remove uric acid from the blood. Gout symptoms are caused by an excess of uric acid in the body.

Great

As always Andy, thanks for your time. I will make copy and give to my neighbor and my brother. So strange that although I am from big family, no one else suffers from this gout. We all experience something different except some similiarities that our parents also had. Kind of strange when you all born same family Only proves we are all unique. Way I like it to be. Thanks for the link. Appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom