Is vodka fattening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Kitchen said:
Has anyone heard of this brand of vodka? Yesterday, while browsing through the liqour department, made a quick scan of the different sales that vodka had. This brand of vodka had different flavors to chose from and the one that had no flavoring was all sold out. Anyone care to share their opinion on this brand? I surely never noticed this one before. Thanks
Yes I have tried this brand and did not like it at all. As a mixer it would be fine, but I generally drink vodka in a martini or on the rocks. I used 3 Olives in a vodka martini and had to choke it down. Mixed with soda or fruit juice or something like that it would be fine, but on it's own I will pass.

ITK, gout and arthritis are related. Both can be totally debilitating and so painful that suicide seems a reasonable reaction. Luckily, for most people (and once you have some experience with it, fellow gout sufferers will come out of the woodwork) there is a daily pill that can prevent attacks (alopurin or something like that). If hubby falls down on the drinking 2 qts of water a day or forgets the pills for more than a couple of days, it comes back. My father had a couple of bouts and also is on the daily pill regimin, as is a freind who is an artist and gets it in his hands, and a young freind. It is sometimes hard to convince older people and men to drink all that water, but you have to flush the uric acid from your body.

Other forms of arthritis are harder to deal with. One of the ladies I read to is completely housebound from it, and again, I have a much younger friend who suffers from it badly enough that her spouse couldn't stand the stress of having such a sickly wife (she takes daily shots). Many, if not most, people suffer from some form of arthritis as they get older, but when it gets so severe it really makes life not worth living for some people. My older lady friend tells me that me coming up and reading to her a couple times a week is what gets her through some weeks, so when I feel too lazy to do it, I pick myself up and get my sorry butt on the road.

Sorry

GB sorry that you have to find out something isn't any good. I am grateful you let me know so I can return it. To only take one drink and know it isn't good does tend to work on me about wasting money. Is there certain brand you do like? i thought you like martini and vodka didn't you? I drink some kind to Russian name brand. My brothers are the ones who prefers it and I think it isn't bad. Can't overdo otherwise my joy will be short lived with some kind of affect. Have to know to keep things in moderation~

Claire, wow you know some people who really are in pain! Makes me feel ashamed when I complain about the things I do. Guess everyone wants some kind of comfort. Drinking water is always the answer to most problems. Maybe this is reminder to me to not forget. Your father is even bothered with it? As you said, everyone gets little bit of something. Having someone to understand surely helps. Thanks for all you do. Try to make life little lighter for others.

I know it is very trendy right now, but I do like Grey Goose vodka a lot. That is my drink of choice when money is not an option. I also really like Belvedere. If I am trying not to spend a ton of $ then I will go with Ketel One.

Gray Goose

Have seen Gray Goose before. Maybe I can exchange the Three Olives for Gray Goose? I will just tell them someone close to me has told me they didn't like it. They always ask what was wrong with something? Now I wonder where is the receipt? Thank you GB. What did you do with your Three Olives? Still got it? Just like everything, when you don't care for something tend to push to the back and then finally make the decision.

I ended up using it, but I don't remember what for. I am sure I mixed it with something though. I probably cooked with it as well.

ITK

The more vodka is filtered the easier it is on your brain/body the next day. More filtering also means more smoothness.

In general, the higher priced "premium" brands, like Grey Goose, Ketel One, Chopin, Belvedere, etc. are easier going down and easier the next day. Stoli and Absolut are good too.

I prefer gin, but usually order Grey Goose or Ketel One when I drink vodka.

Here is an interesting article on vodkas

Along the lines of what Jenny is saying about filtering, I have read of people pouring inferior vodka through a bunch of Brita filters to improve it. In each of these experiments they bought the cheapest vodka they could find. I think they usually ran it through about 5 filters. The end result was not as good as the premium stuff, but close. It is not something I will bother trying, but I found it pretty interesting.

In the Kitchen said:
Have seen Gray Goose before. Maybe I can exchange the Three Olives for Gray Goose? I will just tell them someone close to me has told me they didn't like it. They always ask what was wrong with something? Now I wonder where is the receipt? Thank you GB. What did you do with your Three Olives? Still got it? Just like everything, when you don't care for something tend to push to the back and then finally make the decision.

I believe I had some of this one before.

~Corey123.

Andy M. said:
ITK:

I don't believe vodka causes gout.

However, if someone already has gout, vodka may cause a flare-up.

Andy,

I think you are right; however, I was never aware of my gout until I drank copious amounts of vodka. The doctor I went to told me it was because of "rich foods."

Kelly

GB said:
I know it is very trendy right now, but I do like Grey Goose vodka a lot. That is my drink of choice when money is not an option. I also really like Belvedere. If I am trying not to spend a ton of $ then I will go with Ketel One.

Money is usually not an option with me. However, the lack thereof is frequently an obstacle. :)

Kelly

Corey123 said:
Yes!! Now I remember!

My mother once always told me that it's a "rich man's" disease.

~Corey123.

Yes! Your mother was right! (although I am not sure about "once always") However, this was once thought of as a rich man's disease, as the peasants couldn't afford it. Hence my mention of rich food.

Although it was thought of as such a long time ago. How old is your mother, anyway?

Kelly

vodka is not fattening. in fact, after a few, you, and the people around you begin to look slim and very attractive.

KellyM said:
Yes! Your mother was right! (although I am not sure about "once always") However, this was once thought of as a rich man's disease, as the peasants couldn't afford it. Hence my mention of rich food.

Although it was thought of as such a long time ago. How old is your mother, anyway?

Kelly

Sorry, she passed on in '89. This was way before she became sick.

But in the 70's when she was first diagnosed with it, both she and my late dad always told us that.

That supposedly, only rich people get the disease, as mentioned above.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I Knew It

buckytom said:
vodka is not fattening. in fact, after a few, you, and the people around you begin to look slim and very attractive.

I thought I'd hear from you with different opinion. I like to hear Toby Keith sing about his friend who tried to make his girl look good by drinking. You are right when you had a few you do start not to care about the small things. Like having few pounds where they shouldn't be, etc. But you can't do this everyday. Glad to hear from you buckytom, hope all is well.

Buckytom, so sorry to have to dispute you, but vodka DEFINITELY IS fattening. It contains sugar, which natually come from the processing of the ingredients - in the case of most brands of vodkas, potatoes, which in turn, eventually becomes fat in the body.

Spirits in general, made mostly from corn, have absolutely no nutritional value at all. Their main purpose, if anything, is to get drinlkers "feeling good" or drunk, depending on how far they go with them.

~Corey123.

hiya itk, always glad to read your posts. i don't think there's another member here, nay, human alive that has a bigger heart than yours (and i don't mean dilated cardiomyopathy :) ). hope all's well with you, and give your doggies a bone and bowl of water and ice ubes for me.
when i was a boy, on really hot days (we didn't have air conditioning) my mom gave our dog a bowl of ice water, and would let her sleep on a cool sheet on the concrete basement floor. it seemed to help.

lol, oops, sorry, wrong post. this is the vodka thread. i was just reading the dog one. oh well, maybe the dogs might like a jigger...(kidding!)

and corey, i'm sure you look much thinner after a few vodkas.

"heya baby, what's your s-s- sign. i'm a, i'm a feces...."

Back
Top Bottom