Is vodka fattening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
calories

didn't want to hear that cause it tastes so good. Do you drink Andy? If so, what? Esepecially good when you want to sit outside just before it gets too dark to be out there.

I drink wine, beer, gin and Canadian whiskey, though not all at the same time. All distilled spirits; gin, vodka, rum, tequila, whiskey, etc.; have the same calories per ounce for booze with the same proofs. That is, all 80 proof booze are the same calories. All 90 proofs are the same, etc.

It's OK that some of your calories each day come from a drink. Just figure it into the total.

I'm not sure the number of calories an alcoholic drink contains has anything to do with your hangover ... umm ... the one in your head, not the one hanging over your belt. :LOL:

For a rough comparison ... a 12 oz Bud Light has 110 calories.

Vodka:

80 proof = 64 calories per oz
90 proof = 73 calories per oz
100 proof = 82 calories per oz

In addition to over-indulgence, I think a big part of the hangover is lack of sleep and an empty stomach. Have you ever noticed, after the bars close, how full some of the all night eating establiments get?

According to information I read some 35 years ago, your body cannot store the calories from alcohol. The reason it makes you fat is that your body burns the alcohol calories first, and stores the ones from food as fat. Thus, if you want to drink without gaining weight (or while losing weight), you should cut out fats and starches.
Research may have changed views on this since then, but I do know that I've never had to quit drinking my lite beer to lose weight.

I promise you that if you drink enough vodka, you will have a dandy headache.
:sick:

Yes, your body will process the alcohol first leaving the food to be stored as fat. The other negative side effect of drinking is it slows down your metabolism. This can lead to additional fat gain. It also dehydrates your body. If you are fitness minded dehydrating your muscles is bad for the recovery process.

I think a big part of the hangover is lack of sleep and an empty stomach.

Dehydration is the key reason since while you are drinking alcohol, you're probably not drinking water and the fact that alcohol is a diuretic. Slam down at least a litre of water before climbing into bed, and keep a large bottle handy for in the morning and I guarantee you will feel infinitely better.

Of course...it's a test of wills to both remember and actually drink that water when the bed is beckoning.

It is all empty calories, but only fattening when you get the drunken munchies and eat that pound of bacon sitting in the fridge.

Liquior, unlike beer, is only empty calories. Beer is "a meal" in a can. Starches/carbs, nutrients, calories, vitamans...all that jazz.

That is why breakfast beer is good...fizzy oats:LOL::sick:

Liquior, unlike beer, is only empty calories. Beer is "a meal" in a can. Starches/carbs, nutrients, calories, vitamans...all that jazz.

That is why breakfast beer is good...fizzy oats

Otherwise known as liquid bread. Grains, sugar, water and yeast.

TATTRAT said:
It is all empty calories, but only fattening when you get the drunken munchies and eat that pound of bacon sitting in the fridge.

if what I "know" (or believe, I should say) is correct...then you're pretty wrong

LadyC stated exactly what I "know"

What nobody has mentiond yet (I think), is that it is often what you mix with the vodka that adds calories. I drink mine with soda water and a lime, it's lovely and the only calories come from the vodka. Add cranberry or other juices, and you're easily adding on 100+ calories a drink!

lemonade

I just started adding to my lemonade. I drink so much lemonade during the summer that I wondered about the vodka. Then Oprah had drink w/lemonade and vodka so she much like it too. I really do like it but worry that I have to limit everything i enjoy. Thank you all for information about calories. One thing we don't want to have too many of is calories. Thank you all.

Sky Vodka is suppose to have less calories than the regular one. Try it with unsweetened cranberry juice. Of course, anything in excess WILL be fattening.

Dina said:
Sky Vodka is suppose to have less calories than the regular one. Try it with unsweetened cranberry juice. Of course, anything in excess WILL be fattening.

Like pure fat, all pure alcohol has the same amount of calories.

Lower proof vodkas will have fewer calories. Maybe Sky is lower proof.

In the Kitchen said:
Is vodka fattening? When I drink it never seems to give me headache like other drinks.

Same here, ITK. I can't drink it straight, so I mix it with (Sprite) Zero. I don't know if Zero is really less fattening though. The lemonade sounds good. Saw a 2 litre light lemonade, so I'm putting it on the shopping list to give it a try, since it's also been very hot here. Thanks for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom