"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Hot 100 I believe? mmmmm.
I've got a bottle of Frangelico taking up space, I've been sticking a little of that in hot cocoa.
I may just have to do that later after I figure out how to start the snowblower.....
Boy I wish DH would come home soon!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

One of my favorite drinks is rum and Coke with grenadine. I like all the hot drink ideas, though. When it's cold, I find myself drinking a lot of hot chocolate, so I think I need to get some peppermint schnapps.

When I have a holiday-time party, I make a crockpot of apple cider with whole allspice, cloves and cinnamon sticks, and put bottles of apple brandy and Goldschlager cinnamon schnapps next to it, so people can add it as they like. (Not necessarily suggesting you do this, chave, just mentioning it in general.)

A yummy dessert someone made for a party once was a sort of milkshake made with vanilla ice cream mixed with Frangelico and Chambord.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
Ok, so I'm going on a ski trip to the Poconos next week where I will have a condo to myself. Any ideas on what sorta drink would be nice to mix? I would like to have an idea so I know what kind of liquor to buy and take with me.

I'm not looking for a warm drink, just a nice one to have by myself during the evenings or to share with any "snow bunnies" I meet up there.

Champagne!! serve with pomegranate juice.. the ladies will love it.

What I would have for me..

Single barrel bourbon and a glass or a Nice red wine. Perhaps some limoncello for something sweeter.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
When skiing we always used to make Rocket Fuel. It was a big hit with the ladies. It is just hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps.
Ok, two questions:

What is a good ratio of schnapps to hot cocoa?

What kind of hot chocoa do you recommend? I'm not going to go through the trouble of making it from scratch...so any instant mixes or anything that work well? (I don't ever buy hot chocolate...so I don't know what's good.)
Old 02-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

We always bought Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate. As for ratios, that we just did by taste. It kind of depends on how chocolaty you make the hot chocolate. We usually used a lot of booze because we were young and wanted to catch a good buzz. You can go pretty heavy on the schnapps.

Get yourself the hot c mix and schnapps and do a test run. Make yourself a mug of rocket fuel and play with the amounts and see what works best for you. It will be a fun experiment.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #26
Head Chef

Yeah, what GB said.

With most coffee drinks, I'll start by pouring what looks about like a shot's worth of alcohol into the cup, then adding the coffee (Or in this case, cocoa). If it's too much, you take a sip or two and add more coffee/cocoa. It's not enough, you take a few sips and add more alcohol.

(And I looked up the stuff we used to drink... Rumple Minze - 100 proof peppermint schnapps).

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55 View Post
(And I looked up the stuff we used to drink... Rumple Minze - 100 proof peppermint schnapps).

John
OMG, Rumple Minze. Ya gotta be careful with that stuff - it goes down just too easy sometimes. I have vague memories of a bunch of adults playing duck-duck-goose in the yard after midnight ...
Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
That's what it was! I was thinking cinnamon schnapps, for apple cider.
Dr. McGillicudy's (sp?) is a good pepermint too.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #29
Sous Chef

How about mulled wine. Sweet, warm and spicy. Can't go wrong with that actually.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni View Post
How about mulled wine. Sweet, warm and spicy. Can't go wrong with that actually.
What is this exactly? Can you buy a bottle of mulled wine at the liquor store?