ISO Good Drink for Ski Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hot 100 I believe? mmmmm.
I've got a bottle of Frangelico taking up space, I've been sticking a little of that in hot cocoa.
I may just have to do that later after I figure out how to start the snowblower.....
Boy I wish DH would come home soon!

One of my favorite drinks is rum and Coke with grenadine. I like all the hot drink ideas, though. When it's cold, I find myself drinking a lot of hot chocolate, so I think I need to get some peppermint schnapps.

When I have a holiday-time party, I make a crockpot of apple cider with whole allspice, cloves and cinnamon sticks, and put bottles of apple brandy and Goldschlager cinnamon schnapps next to it, so people can add it as they like. (Not necessarily suggesting you do this, chave, just mentioning it in general.)

A yummy dessert someone made for a party once was a sort of milkshake made with vanilla ice cream mixed with Frangelico and Chambord.

Ok, so I'm going on a ski trip to the Poconos next week where I will have a condo to myself. Any ideas on what sorta drink would be nice to mix? I would like to have an idea so I know what kind of liquor to buy and take with me.

I'm not looking for a warm drink, just a nice one to have by myself during the evenings or to share with any "snow bunnies" I meet up there. ;)

Champagne!! serve with pomegranate juice.. the ladies will love it.

What I would have for me..

Single barrel bourbon and a glass or a Nice red wine. Perhaps some limoncello for something sweeter.

When skiing we always used to make Rocket Fuel. It was a big hit with the ladies. It is just hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps.

Ok, two questions:

What is a good ratio of schnapps to hot cocoa?

What kind of hot chocoa do you recommend? I'm not going to go through the trouble of making it from scratch...so any instant mixes or anything that work well? (I don't ever buy hot chocolate...so I don't know what's good.)

We always bought Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate. As for ratios, that we just did by taste. It kind of depends on how chocolaty you make the hot chocolate. We usually used a lot of booze because we were young and wanted to catch a good buzz. You can go pretty heavy on the schnapps.

Get yourself the hot c mix and schnapps and do a test run. Make yourself a mug of rocket fuel and play with the amounts and see what works best for you. It will be a fun experiment.

Yeah, what GB said.

With most coffee drinks, I'll start by pouring what looks about like a shot's worth of alcohol into the cup, then adding the coffee (Or in this case, cocoa). If it's too much, you take a sip or two and add more coffee/cocoa. It's not enough, you take a few sips and add more alcohol.

(And I looked up the stuff we used to drink... Rumple Minze - 100 proof peppermint schnapps).

John

(And I looked up the stuff we used to drink... Rumple Minze - 100 proof peppermint schnapps).

John

OMG, Rumple Minze. Ya gotta be careful with that stuff - it goes down just too easy sometimes. I have vague memories of a bunch of adults playing duck-duck-goose in the yard after midnight ...

That's what it was! I was thinking cinnamon schnapps, for apple cider.
Dr. McGillicudy's (sp?) is a good pepermint too.

What is this exactly? Can you buy a bottle of mulled wine at the liquor store?

Depends on where you are at. Up at lake Erie. Mon Ami winery makes a spiced wine that is quite good. They always serve it warmed. I like it in the summer poured over ice...

Any ideas for what to do with a bottle of Kahlua? I've enver actually made any drinks with it before, but I hear that there are a lot of uses.

Last edited:
did anyone mention the classic ski drink, the "broken leg"?

it's equal-ish parts of spiced rum and hot apple cider, with a cinnamon stick for stirring.

Here we can buy cartons or mulled wine and all one has to do is heat it up and enjoy it. It is a very common drink at any event in the winter especially up the mountains after all that skiing. What I like about it, is that it warms you up and it's not like having a glass of wine per glass, it's red wine watered down. My recipe is 2 glasses of red wine, one glass of water, a clementine(Tangerine or orange whatever one calls it) two teaspoons of sugar, two cloves(the spice not garlic) a cardamom stick, heat up all together and do not let boil over, and serve. Smells great and tastes great too. One can adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Send it to me!!!!

Equal parts kahlua / vodka i use a shot of each
pour over ice, fill glass with milk. (8 oz glass/ 3-4 cubes)
My bottle is gone I think it was a mudslide? It was on the back of the bottle)

Heres a couple good websites you can look by type of alcohol.
The Webtender - Cocktail & Mixed Drink Recipes and Bartending Guide
DRINKSMIXER.COM: 16200+ mixed drink recipes, cocktails and drinks

Kahlua, vodka and milk is a White Russian.

A black Russian is Kahlua and Vodka.
Both are tasty. Kahlua is fairly versatile. Sweet coffee flavor that tends to go chocolaty..

Just do a google search for Kahlua drinks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom