ISO: Low Carb Alcoholic Drinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I need some suggestions for my wife. We are going to a wedding this weekend and she is doing the low carb think. What kind of booze drinks would be a good choice for her?

GB said:
I need some suggestions for my wife. We are going to a wedding this weekend and she is doing the low carb think. What kind of booze drinks would be a good choice for her?

Michelob Ultra is the first thing that comes to mind for beer. For hard liquor I don't really know.

I think you hit it on the head earlier with rum & diet coke (try coke zero, it tastes much better).

Another good one would be to use spiced rum and diet sprite - that's tasty, or Gosling's Black Seal rum and diet ginger ale.

Keep away from fruit juices and non-diet sodas. Also, watch wine intake (although very dry wines are very low carb).

On an entirely separate note...low carb diets, in my opinion (and many others in the know) are much less effective than simply a balanced diet. But that's another thread for another time :)

Red wine is the best choice in terms of energy content as far as your alcoholic drinks go. I think straight spirits would be next, I'm not sure. Perhaps you should look at mixed drinks made with fruit juice rather than soft drink?

I would avoid 'diet' (sugar-free) products at all costs if possible. I would rather have the sugar than the potentially neuron-killing (among other things) aspartame. But then again, I wouldn't recommend that anyone drink any type of soft drink.

Hehe, true. But at least the effects of alcohol are known, and provided you don't overindulge they are fairly mild (what's a few hundred thousand neurons here and there? :P).

However the following is a direct copy of potential effects on health from Wikipedia's article on Aspartame. The last one is a classic.

The 92 health effects reported to the FDA are: abdominal pain, anxiety attacks, arthritis, asthma, asthmatic reactions, bloating/edema, blood sugar control problems (hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia), brain cancer (Pre-approval studies in animals), breathing difficulties, burning eyes or throat, burning urination, inability to think clearly, chest pains, chronic cough, chronic fatigue, confusion, death, depression, diarrhea, dizziness, excessive thirst or hunger, fatigue, feeling “unreal,” flushing of face, hair loss (baldness) or thinning of hair, headaches/migraines, hearing loss, heart palpitations, hives (Urticaria), hypertension (high blood pressure), impotency and sexual problems, inability to concentrate, infection susceptibility, insomnia, irritability, itching, joint pains, laryngitis, “like thinking in a fog,” marked personality changes, memory loss, menstrual problems or changes, muscle spasms, nausea or vomiting, numbness or tingling of extremities, other allergic-like reactions, panic attacks, phobias, poor memory, rapid heartbeat, rashes, seizures and convulsions, slurring of speech, swallowing pain, tachycardia, tremors, tinnitus, vertigo, vision loss, and weight gain.

Didn't have time to research this, but I thought all hard alcohol was carb-loaded, because of the various types of sugars used in the distilling process?

marmalady said:
Didn't have time to research this, but I thought all hard alcohol was carb-loaded, because of the various types of sugars used in the distilling process?

the sugars are fermented into alcohol

alcohol is worse for you than carbs on any kind of diet, though

I thought everyone knew that rum & Diet Coke is the perfect diet drink. The zero calories in the Diet Coke automatically cancel out the calories in the rum, right??? Lol!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom