ISO perfect wine for Christmas ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
Here's another quandry. I'm cooking a Smithfield ham for Christmas. All I am responsible for is the ham and the wine (of course, teh two most expensive items LOL). I brought back some wines from France but I don't want to blow them all out on Christmas. I would like to stay with a nice French wine but I just don't know what. I am partial to reds but I think I'm going to get 2 or 3 bottles of both red and white. How about some suggestions please?

I found a couple of answers to this question on Google. Here's the short version, but the woman who wrote the longer version agreed.

Personally, I can't stand the whites that were recommended, so I'd go with the one of the reds, specifically the Beaujolais. But some of each would be a great idea.

http://www.samcooks.com/ask/ask_wine1.htm

Lee

QSis said:
I found a couple of answers to this question on Google. Here's the short version, but the woman who wrote the longer version agreed.

Personally, I can't stand the whites that were recommended, so I'd go with the one of the reds, specifically the Beaujolais. But some of each would be a great idea.

http://www.samcooks.com/ask/ask_wine1.htm

Lee

I agree with sam's recommendations.

I would probably recommend a Pinot Noir or Zinfandel, however, how is the ham being prepared and what kind of sauce are you making? That will also determine the selection and also, what is everyone else bringing? Depending on the menu, it may be better to start off with white or a sparkling wine, or bring a wine that compliments more of the other dishes than just the ham.

Unfortunately, this will be a very simple meal consisting of the Smithfield ham then the usual staples such as ham gravy, green beans, mash potatoes, corn, dinner rolls, and whatever pot lucksides are brought. Since it isn't at my house it will be nothing fancy. Since I am the pseudo chef in the family I am always appointed to bring the main dish. And since that side of my family doesn't know anything at all about wine I figured I'd bring that too.

A SMithfield ham is a dense salty ham, and I'd go with a dry light white or red, nothing too fruity. Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio, etc.

I agree with both Sam and Robo.

A dry Reisling would be very nice. So would a dry Pinot grigio or Sauvignon blanc.

For a salty ham, I'd probably stay away from any big tannic reds and really buttery whites. But some people say buttery whites are good with salty food.

I always believe you drink what you like.

But I have to agree with Jennyema that I would not choose a tannic red.

Would suggest a robust white.

I, too, believe you should drink what yo ulike. Since I've never cooked a Smithfield ham before I htought I should get some opinions. Personally, I don't like Reislings. I could definitely go with a Pino Noir or a Sauvignon blanc.

Back
Top Bottom