"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Kahlua/Coffee Liquor Recipes?

Ok, I received for Xmas this year a bottle of home-made "Kahlua" from a friend. I decided to search the 'net to see how easy it is (since my best friend's favorite drink is a white russian), and found its REALLY REALLY easy to make kahlua-like liquor, for a fraction of the cost.

Now, with the easily 100 recipes I've seen in the last two hours, I find myself in the position of wanting to try all 100 of them, however, it would be FAR too costly in money and liver health to go to those lengths.

That all being said, does anyone have a good coffee-liquor recipe that's a tried-and-true recipe? I've seen so many, I'm really thinking of cobbling together my own recipe.. if there's any 'experts' in making kahlua, could they give me input on how this recipe might fare?

12 'cup' pot Brit coffee (not c.) brewed with a bit of mace and cocoa
4c white sugar
1c brown sugar
simmer to thread stage
partially cool
mix 1Tbsp vanilla extract into 1qt vodka
wisk syrup and liquid togethor
bottle and age 2 weeks or more

As a note, since I doubt a lot of people know British coffee... British coffee is similar to 'American' style but brewed VERY VERY strong. Think full-pot left on the burner half the day, but the acid isn't yet broken down so its strong, but not rancid.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Sous Chef

In college (yes I was in school) when we (colege friends and I) went out our shot of choice was a B-52 which was Kahlua, Bailey's, and Grand Marnier layered in a shot glass. I no longer can do "sweet" or mixed drinks as I prefer staigh up or rocks. BTW, welcome to DC.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Sous Chef

delete
Old 01-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Make a vanilla milkshake and add kahlua

Or make brownies and add kahlua!!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Sigh, three responses that read the title but not the post, and if they did, they skimmed it.

I'm looking for recipes to MAKE kahlua not that include kahlua.

As a response to the three that offered advice on what to do when I make it, white russians, or mix it into brownies or chocolate cake.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Head Chef

If you google "kahlua desserts" you will get a wealth of recipes. Kahlua use to have its own recipe book with sweet and savory recipes. Somewhere I have a copy of it.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Head Chef

Several years ago, a friend of mine and I made kahlua as gifts. Our recipe was very similar to the one posted. Ours did not include mace or cocoa, however. I will dig through my recipes when I get home to compare them more carefully. Two things to note, you really do need the strong, good quality coffee and whatever recipe you use, realize you will make alot!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWishbringer View Post
Sigh, three responses that read the title but not the post, and if they did, they skimmed it.

I'm looking for recipes to MAKE kahlua not that include kahlua.

As a response to the three that offered advice on what to do when I make it, white russians, or mix it into brownies or chocolate cake.
I am sorry, I read your words but they evidently did not register. I am sorry. I have a lot on my mind.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Head Chef

This is what you want:
Homemade Coffee Liquor Recipe: Kahlua and Tia Maria are Easy to Make, and are Versatile Liqueurs

or

How to Make Homemade Coffee Liquor | eHow.com
Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
I am sorry, I read your words but they evidently did not register. I am sorry. I have a lot on my mind.
It looked to me like you already had the recipe, we are just trying to help. There is no need to get so upset. We are a very friendly bunch here and all of us took it for the same meaning. Lets start all over and work with you. Maybe you can work with us at the same time.