Kahlua/Coffee Liquor Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWishbringer

Assistant Cook
Ok, I received for Xmas this year a bottle of home-made "Kahlua" from a friend. I decided to search the 'net to see how easy it is (since my best friend's favorite drink is a white russian), and found its REALLY REALLY easy to make kahlua-like liquor, for a fraction of the cost.

Now, with the easily 100 recipes I've seen in the last two hours, I find myself in the position of wanting to try all 100 of them, however, it would be FAR too costly in money and liver health to go to those lengths.

That all being said, does anyone have a good coffee-liquor recipe that's a tried-and-true recipe? I've seen so many, I'm really thinking of cobbling together my own recipe.. if there's any 'experts' in making kahlua, could they give me input on how this recipe might fare?

12 'cup' pot Brit coffee (not c.) brewed with a bit of mace and cocoa
4c white sugar
1c brown sugar
simmer to thread stage
partially cool
mix 1Tbsp vanilla extract into 1qt vodka
wisk syrup and liquid togethor
bottle and age 2 weeks or more

As a note, since I doubt a lot of people know British coffee... British coffee is similar to 'American' style but brewed VERY VERY strong. Think full-pot left on the burner half the day, but the acid isn't yet broken down so its strong, but not rancid.

In college (yes I was in school) when we (colege friends and I) went out our shot of choice was a B-52 which was Kahlua, Bailey's, and Grand Marnier layered in a shot glass. I no longer can do "sweet" or mixed drinks as I prefer staigh up or rocks. BTW, welcome to DC.

Make a vanilla milkshake and add kahlua

Or make brownies and add kahlua!!

Sigh, three responses that read the title but not the post, and if they did, they skimmed it.

I'm looking for recipes to MAKE kahlua not that include kahlua.

As a response to the three that offered advice on what to do when I make it, white russians, or mix it into brownies or chocolate cake.

If you google "kahlua desserts" you will get a wealth of recipes. Kahlua use to have its own recipe book with sweet and savory recipes. Somewhere I have a copy of it.

Several years ago, a friend of mine and I made kahlua as gifts. Our recipe was very similar to the one posted. Ours did not include mace or cocoa, however. I will dig through my recipes when I get home to compare them more carefully. Two things to note, you really do need the strong, good quality coffee and whatever recipe you use, realize you will make alot!

Sigh, three responses that read the title but not the post, and if they did, they skimmed it.

I'm looking for recipes to MAKE kahlua not that include kahlua.

As a response to the three that offered advice on what to do when I make it, white russians, or mix it into brownies or chocolate cake.

I am sorry, I read your words but they evidently did not register. I am sorry. I have a lot on my mind.

I am sorry, I read your words but they evidently did not register. I am sorry. I have a lot on my mind.

It looked to me like you already had the recipe, we are just trying to help. There is no need to get so upset. We are a very friendly bunch here and all of us took it for the same meaning. Lets start all over and work with you. Maybe you can work with us at the same time.

I looked through what I have here at home and I do not have the actual recipe we used to make the Kahlua ... I have the recipes for what to do after we made it though! Like I said, it seems as thought it was similiar to what you have posted, minus the mace and cocoa.

Here's the recipe I use:

2 cups water
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup instant coffee granules
1/2 vanilla bean, slit open, scraped and chopped
1 1/2 cups vodka

Combine water and sugar and cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Stir in instant coffee. In a pitcher or bowl mix the vodka and vanilla bean together. Add coffee mixture. Place "kahlua" mixture in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake vigorously every day for 3 weeks. At the end of 3 weeks, strain liqueur through a coffee filter and store in a clean bottle or jar with tight-fitting lid.

If you want to make Tia Maria, substitute rum for the vodka.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to sound upset, was trying to make it obvious the responses went the wrong way to hopefully stimulate the answers I was looking for (before it hit more than a page in, since most people read the first page only before replying).

As per my recipe, haven't tried it yet (waiting on payday). Its a mish-mash of different recipes that I've found.

As per the two links provided, if you dig, eHow has about 10 different recipes, and I found many more elsewhere. I wasn't joking or overstating when I said it didn't take me long to find about 100 different recipes on how to make kahlua-like liquor.

As per the advice on the instant coffee, I've seen many places where people have advised against it, that British coffee or espresso make for better tasting final product, if used properly. Can anyone confirm this? For drinking purposes, I can stomach old, stale coffee but not instant coffee. I haven't made any of the recipes yet to see how they'd fair both ways, but I _assume_ part of the flavors that come from freeze drying would carry over.

When paycheck comes in, I'm going to get a bottle of mixer-vodka, and new filters for my Brita pitcher.

Since this is the alcohol forum, and this recipe calls for vodka, a heads up is that using a good filter does improve vodka. Its been proven in labs, homes, bars, and on Mythbusters. Run it through a Brita pitcher-filter thing 10 times and its about the same quality as the top shelf ultra-expensive vodkas. The reason is, the only thing that makes the high dollar vodkas more expensive is less contaminates (more distills/filters).

Ok, payday finally came (big delay in payments, at least I got 3 checks at once) and I just figured something out....

If you're insisting on brewed and not instant coffee like I am (I did a very small 1 cup batch of 8 different recipes, taste tested on day 2 of aging), and you go to make a large batch, MAKE THE SYRUP AHEAD OF TIME!

Why am I saying this?

I've got my 5 gallon pot on the stove with 8 pots of coffee, 10 cups of white sugar, 10 cups of brown sugar, waiting on thread stage...

..its been at rolling boil for 2 hours and I have a long ways to go!

Additional note: I'm going to 'break open a bottle' Friday, and depending how the reception is (using friends as my taster board... they are the reason I'm making coffee liquor, since its their favorite) I'll post my overall, completed recipe. (I'll make a new thread for it)

So I'm not increasing post count, I'll just keep editing this....
4 hours, and reduced by half... its feeling thicker when I stir it, but still has a ways to go. The coffee smell has completely pervaded the house now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom