Keeping Marsala wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzzlet

Senior Cook
Ok, just tried my hand at making my first batch of Chicken Marsala. Turned out quite good, but now I've got most of a bottle of Marsala wine left. How long will it stay viable, and what's the best way to keep it that way? Thanks!!

You can just keep it in the bottle it came in in your cupboards. Marsala is a fortified wine and will safely keep for years!

Now, we just have to come up with some more recipes for you to use that wine! :chef:

Absolutely!! I tasted some of it before I put it in the chicken, and it's not exactly my favorite for sipping! It was really good in the food tho. Thanks for your help!

Google - I just googled "Marsala wine, recipes" and oooolala - the carrots in marsala at Epicurious look devine!

Yup - Marsala, Madeira, & Sherry keep very well for a very long time in the pantry. Just, like any cooking/food items, don't store them in bright light or in a place in close proximity to the stove where they'd be subjected to a lot of heat.

Carrots with Marsala is great. It's good in a cream sauce for pork or chicken too.

muzzlet,
You can use Marsala to make Tiramisu (not more than two tablespoons may be required).

BreezyCooking advise for storage is perfect, I'd add to keep the bottle horizontally.
This will maintain the cork moist, maximizing the sealing.

CharlieD,
Since higher temperatures help expedite oxidation, it is better to keep wines in cold places. I keep mine in the coldest spot of my basement (constant temperature of 55/60F)
I don't think is wrong to keep it in the fridge.

Ever since I tried the Steak Marsala at Carabbas, I have been looking for a bottle of Marsala but can't find it anywhere around here. If and when I ever do find it, how is it price-wise? What is it comparable to? I don't buy a lot of wine but do buy sherry for my Drunk Chicken. In fact, I had a hard time finding sherry around here too.

:)Barbara

Have you checked an ABC store? They usually don’t carry a lot of regular wines, but typically have the basic fortified wines (Sherry, Port, and Marsala). Wherever you found Sherry, you might be able to find Marsala.

Marsala is fairly inexpensive. I can get a bottle here for $5 to $6.

So, I was doing wrong thing by keeping it in the refrigerator?

Nope, not at all Charlie.

It's not heat or cold that are the mjor causing of wine going "off", it's the constant (or large) variations in temperature. By keeping it in a fridge, or cellar where the temps don't vary as much, it prolongs it's life.

John

Have you checked an ABC store? They usually don’t carry a lot of regular wines, but typically have the basic fortified wines (Sherry, Port, and Marsala). Wherever you found Sherry, you might be able to find Marsala.

Marsala is fairly inexpensive. I can get a bottle here for $5 to $6.
I finally found the Sherry at WalMart. I think I checked for the Marsala there already. When we can afford it, I will check an ABC store. I thought about that but just haven't had the money for extras. Thanks Keltin!

I finally found the Sherry at WalMart. I think I checked for the Marsala there already. When we can afford it, I will check an ABC store. I thought about that but just haven't had the money for extras. Thanks Keltin!

Wow! You found Sherry at Wal-Mart! I WISH my Wal-Marts would carry it! I always have to make a special trip to a package or ABC store to find it. Nice! Maybe you could ask the manager of that Wal-Mart to order it? That doesn't always work, but I have seen it produce fruit on occasion (mostly with small businesses)!

To clarify, it is a Super Wal-Mart (do they even have any "non" Super Wal-Marts anymore?)--it was in the grocery section. They have a bigger selection than any of our grocery stores. If the ABC store doesn't have it, I will definitely see if Wal-Mart can order it.

Sorry about my ignorance but I have never been to a Wal-Mart in my life. Trader Joes carries at least two types of Marsala.

Sorry about my ignorance but I have never been to a Wal-Mart in my life. Trader Joes carries at least two types of Marsala.
It is easier for me to drive 25 miles to Wal-Mart than a couple thousand to Trader Joe. I do love Trader Joe though.

;)Barbara

Our Wal-Mart here doesn't carry dry sherry, Marsala, or Madeira, however the other grocery stores (Giant, Safeway, Food Lion) do, & at very reasonable prices. Not much more than the dry sherry (between $5-$6).

I was surprised that I couldn't find sherry at our grocery stores. They have cooking sherry but I won't touch that salty stuff (tried it once when I couldn't find anything else). I am looking forward to the day I can try my hand at Steak Marsala. It was so good!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom