Lemon Cream Liqueur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karenlyn

Senior Cook
So the success of my last cocktail recipe has inspired me to post another one. This recipe is SO easy and SO good-- once you try it, you'll be drinking it all summer. It makes a liqueur, but unlike with homemade Kaluha (sp?) or Limoncello, you don't have to age it. It takes only about 24 hours before it's ready to drink. Recipe makes two bottles.

I'm serious, people-- if you make nothing else to drink all summer, make this. I don't know anybody who doesn't absolutely LOVE it. :pig:

Frosty Lemon Cream Liqueur

1 (700 mL) bottle vodka (cheap works fine)
5 large lemons (organic is best-- you don't want any chemicals)
1 liter whole milk
2-4 cups. sugar (I like mine less sweet)
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
3/4 C. whiskey

In a jar or pitcher, combine the vodka and the peels from your five lemons (make sure they're well-washed before peeling, and without pith). Cover and let sit for 24 hours, stirring or shaking occasionally.

Combine milk in sugar in heavy saucepan. Boil about 25 minutes, then leave to cool. The more sugar you add, the thicker the liqueur will be (I use less because I don't like mine too sweet).

Strain lemon peels from vodka. Strain milk to get out any strange bits. Combine vodka, milk, whiskey, and vanilla. Place in two bottles (I needed just over two 700 mL vodka bottles to hold the entire recipe). Store the bottles in the freezer.

You might need to set the bottles out a couple of minutes before serving-- while the vodka keeps the liqueur from freezing, it does get a bit slushy. But it's addictive and AWESOME. :)

How many times did you have to make this before you got it right? sure looks like one I would like to try on hot summer day. Or any day for that matter. I love lemons but this recipe calls for only the peels. What did you do with the lemons, throw them away? Only kidding. I am sure you made use of the juice of them.

Thanks for sharing your success. Sounds really refreshing.

This came out great the first time I made it. I made it again over the weekend to give to my Mother in Law for Mother's Day (it's a week earlier in Spain than it is in the States). This time, I made special note of how much sugar I used. For the whole batch, I used two cups of sugar-- I don't have too much of a sweet tooth. With two cups of sugar, the room-temperature liqueur was pretty thin, but the freezer-temperature stuff was thick and creamy. With two cups of sugar, the liqueur has a sweetness about equivalent to Bailey's Irish Cream. Since only lemon peels are used, there's no tanginess at all, so no need to add extra sugar. So I suggest two cups.

I still have two lemons waiting to be used... I used the others for a lemon pie!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom