Limoncello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annamaria

Cook
Hello To everybody!

This is the recipe of Limoncello I know. Like every traditional recipe it could change from family to family but generally the basic ingredients are these.
I must tell you that to make a real Limocello you should use the lemons from Amalfi. I know it is not so easy to find them unless you take a plane and come to Amalfi! :( However, the Amalfi lemons are bigger and have a thick peel and have a strong good smell. I am telling this because the quantity of lemons could change from 10 to 15 and the days of immersion of the skins could change from 5 days to 7.
This is the recipe from a person who lives there. I am sorry but I must give you the Italian measure.

8 big lemons (if you want organic too)
1 kilo of sugar
1 litre of alcool for liqueur (90°)
1 litre of water.

Peel the lemons’ skin. It could be better to use only the yellow part if it is possible. Put the skins into the alcool and take it for about 5 days. Blend it twice in a day with a spoon. Somebody prefers to take it into the dark but I don’t think it is necessary. Dissolve the sugar into the water on the fire. It have not to boil (it would be like a candy). Put the water into the alcool. Generally it takes one month to be drunk. Serve it cold. Limoncello is about 50°.

If you don’t use the water and add one or two litres of milk and a bit of “vanilllina” you will have the cream of limoncello. Vanillina is an extract. It is sweet. Sorry I don’t know the English name. It is put and sold in little bags (in Italy). It is used for the cake and the cream.

Do not throw away the lemons! You can use them for a lemonade. Also the skins can be used: put a piece of chocolate into a pan that is put into a bigger pan with hot water (bagnomaria). When the chocolate turns into a cream put the skins inside and then let the get cold. In southern Italy we use them for Christmas period.

I hope I have been helpful!
See you later and sorry for my English.

Bye.

Annamaria.

Annamaria!

Thank you so much for this recipe :)

I LOVE limoncello. I'm sure Mudbug will be here in a while, as she makes limoncello with her father.

Your english is fantastic - no need to apologize!

Welcome, by the way, to this cooking board. I look forward to reading some more of your regional recipes.

yes, thanks again annamaria. limoncello is delicious. i also love pear and lemon grappa after a nice meal.

also, thanks for the info on panchino. i'm gonna see if i can obtain seeds to grow my own this summer.

and rofl about small moustached brown calabrian women. i still think southern italian women are god's gift to mankind...

If I knew any Italian I would return the compliment of speaking your language, annamaria, but thanks so much for your limoncello recipe. I like the idea of using the lemon peels again.

also, thanks for the info on panchino. i'm gonna see if i can obtain seeds to grow my own this summer.

I think in USA there are also pachino tomatoes. In Boston I have found everything even if the taste and the trade marks were different. For exaple, I have made Tiramisu for one of my friend's birthday but mascarpone was very similar to the butter! :? My firiend and the guests liked it (and not anly Tiramisu as they emptied all the pans of lasagne and other food!! :D ) but it was not so good for me also for the savoiardi (I think you call the ladyfingers).

However, I have found the seeds of Pachino. If you want I can send them to you. There is no problem! I can put the bag into an envelope. Have you an address where I can send? Here is my @ a.gnisci@libero.it. I dont know the result as the weather are different but you can try.

and rofl about small moustached brown calabrian women. i still think southern italian women are god's gift to mankind...[/quote]

Sorry... but the envelope is too small to send also a hairy girl!! :LOL:

lol, thank you annamaria! i'm definitely gonna have to start checking the mail before my wife gets to it, looking for curvy envelopes ;) .

i would love some panchino seeds. i will email you about it. thanks again!

jkath said:
annamaria said:

Annamaria, you are so funny!

Thank you! I hope that my guests will think the same thing after having tried my american dinner!
Italians are very "shut" of mind because they think Italian is the best.
If I fail... I will have to play the role of the turkey into the oven! ;)

What are the weather conditions that are best suited for these seeds?

Pachino is a town in Sicily. Sicily is very warm! In summer we have also 40° (I think it is about 100° F).
But in south of USA you have the same weather, maybe you can try!

mudbug said:
If I knew any Italian I would return the compliment of speaking your language, annamaria, but thanks so much for your limoncello recipe. I like the idea of using the lemon peels again.

They are very good! Try it!

Thank you! My english is not so perfect! I am always studying it and sometimes I make also "funny" wrongs! My nightmares are the duration form of the verbs, to make and to do verbs (I'll never understandd the difference!) and... pronunciation!
I cheer me up because I speak a perfect Italian! :D

[quote="annamariaMy nightmares are the duration form of the verbs, to make and to do verbs (I'll never understandd the difference!) and... pronunciation!
[/quote]

Don't worry annamaria--there are many Americans who don't understand these things either! :LOL:

We're glad you found us and are practicing your English with us while sharing all of your good recipies!

buckytom said:
lol, thank you annamaria! i'm definitely gonna have to start checking the mail before my wife gets to it, looking for curvy envelopes ;) .

i would love some panchino seeds. i will email you about it. thanks again!

You are welcome! ;)

annamaria said:
jkath said:
annamaria said:

Annamaria, you are so funny!

Thank you! I hope that my guests will think the same thing after having tried my american dinner!
Italians are very "shut" of mind because they think Italian is the best.
If I fail... I will have to play the role of the turkey into the oven! ;)

What are the weather conditions that are best suited for these seeds?

Pachino is a town in Sicily. Sicily is very warm! In summer we have also 40° (I think it is about 100° F).
But in south of USA you have the same weather, maybe you can try!

Hi Jkath!
Have you ever met one person who quotes her own messages?
Now you have met: it's me! :LOL:
Sure...It's a strange effect to quote myself!
However, this morning I have sent you the seeds. I hope the envelope can reach USA fast or I am afraid that you will receive a "cruvy envelope"! I hope your husband is not jealous of tomatoes! Even if they are Italian! :LOL:
If you remember, can you tell me the result? I am curious.

Bye.

Annamaria.

hi annamaria. i tried to email you, but it didn't go through for some reason. i will pm you with my address if you are still offering to send me the seeds. thank you so much for the offer!

Back
Top Bottom