"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
Old 10-20-2004, 12:45 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
LOL mudbug - sounds just like us - we each have "hen names" -

Chef Hen - (originator of the group)
Big Ol' Gat Hen - (the other originator) skinny as a rail! LOL
Rooster Magnet Hen (all the men gravitate to her when we go out)
Snortin' Hen - she snorts when she laughs
Lady Hen - reserved
G-Lo Hen - take off of J-Lo
Yappy Hen - yes she talks nonstop
Wisecrack Hen - has a wise crack to say about everything
Trippin' Hen - she trips ALL the time (this is me :oops: )
Fashion Hen - She has a high-end boutique
Happy Hotty Hen - always in a good mood and even girls think she's "hot" LOL
Cool Hen - always calm even when mad
Zen Hen - self-explanatory I think
Crabby Hen - always crabby

We go to Isle of Palms once a year - rent a house on the ocean, and then get together and cook once a year for our first "pay up" party in the fall and then do movies one time for another "pay up" night, and get together for appetizers at someone's house for another "pay up" party. We have a lot of fun when we're together and your evening of cooking sounds like ours. Now you guys have to come up with Hen names! The two originators are always in charge of the menu and they send recipes of what we're supposed to cook. This last time we had an awesome meal!!!! Well, we do every time LOL

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:19 PM   #12
Head Chef
My gosh, this is just too uncanny! I have a group of nine other women, some of us have been friends for 20 years and the "youngest" member of the "Village" joined us a decade ago. We get together constantly and have since the very beginning, rotating from one back patio to another nearly every weekend to catch up. We hadn't thought of "Hen names", and instead of "Queen" we appoint an annual Mayor, who decides who will host the Christmas party, as well as NY Eve, Fourth of July and Labor Day (usually a camp out) and then sets the location (or chairs the debate) for where we will go that year on our annual Women's Get-The-Heck-Out-Of-Town Weekend.

The youngest child is now twelve, and the oldest two are 28. And this year, eight of our families have graduating high school seniors. Instead of the requisite passing of gifts, we're pooling together to rent this houseboat on steroids (3 decks and side thrusters) for all of our young people to bring their friends and have a huge graduation bash, band and all. I have been appointed responsible for ensuring an adequate supply of ear plugs for the adults...

These gals and our huge extended family have always been my rock and I love each of them more than words can say.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
WOW - what similar stories!! This is very interesting!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #14
Master Chef
Originally Posted by jkath
Here's what I'm having: (besides a hard time typing...)
3 parts grapefruit vodka
2 parts limoncello
shaken over ice
in a sugar rimmed martini glass.

Although I usually have enjoyed limoncello on ice, this sounds really good. Will try.

Nice wiener, btw
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:53 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by mudbug
Members serve on a rotating basis as Queen (I am the current Queen). The Queen gets possession of the royal feather boa and tiara during her reign. We are running out of room for all the chicken tchotckes we used to give each other at Christmas, so now we select a charity and give money or goods to it.
For some reason this reminded me of something a friend did. She came across a cute goose at a store one day (not ceramic, but similar--made to put outside for decoration). She snuck it into her friend's yard. Not long after, she found it in her yard, with a little scarf added. They started sneaking it into each other's yard with different clothes and accessories--this went on for years. I was thinking, you could do the same with a chicken!

:) Barbara
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:27 PM   #16
Limoncello Shrimp Cocktail

I make a "vinaigrette" of limoncello, lemon juice, extra virgin oilve oil, salt and pepper, very thin slivers of red and green bell peppers, and long, thready zests of lemon and/or lime. Marinate cooked shrimp in it for no more than an hour, and serve over ice. The quantities are like any vinaigrette--about 1-2 parts limoncello, 1 part lemon juice and 2-4 parts oilve oil--mix it to taste--the taste should balance on the tongue.
It's not the destination, but the journey!
chefcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:23 PM   #17
Hospitality Queen
Chefcyn -
Would you recommend this on chicken as well?
(I can't eat any seafood)
It sounds really wonderful!
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
Lemoncello uses

I just "discovered" Lemoncello this summer when watching Chef Mario on the food network.

I have 2 recipes posted on my site under past articles that use Lemoncello in food. There's one shrimp dish but you can easily substitute chicken.

Ruth Moser
chefmom is offline   Reply With Quote