Lindemans Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catseye

Senior Cook
I'm trying to educate myself about wines,about which I know little and my palate knows virtually nothing. I bought a bottle of Lindemans wine, with this label:

Lindemans
Bin 54
Cabernet Sauvignon
Southeastern Australia

I used a bit of it to add to the liquid bath for an oven-braised chuck roast, and then poured a skosh into a glass to taste. It was, in a word, nasty. Even allowing for my naive palate, this stuff was bad. I brushed my teeth immediately, to get rid of the taste.

I don't remember what I paid for it. I got it in a supermarket, and I think I paid between $5.50 and $6 for it. (750 milliliters.)

Is anyone familiar with this vineyard? For the price, can I pretty much expect to get rotgut?

I just hope I didn't louse up my roast. :(

Cats

Always taste the wine before using in cooking...

The flavours can give you a bit of an idea of what should accompany it as a flavouring agent...

Every once in a while, you get a "bad cork" and the wine is "off" and yes, it can ruin your food...

You should be able to get "decent" (if not "great") wine in this price range, but you might want to invest a buck or three more to get some "good" stuff...

But always (ALWAYS!) taste it first...

(Bitter personal experience talking!)

Lifter

Lifter said:
Always taste the wine before using in cooking...

The flavours can give you a bit of an idea of what should accompany it as a flavouring agent...

I hear you, Lifter. You can be sure I will taste first in the future.

As far as what should accompany it, the one use I can think of with this horrid stuff is as an adjunct to homemade fertilizer. :shock:

Cats

Remember!...

Some bottles go "off"...

I don't really have an issue with the vinter (the grower and wine producer)...

I have a BIG problem with wherever you bought the stuff, undoubtably marked down, and would complain furiously, and cease buying, well, wine, at least, there...

If not anything else...it pains me to see those $200 a week grocery bills, and think that got $10K a year, I get no respect from a grocer...(not that this is happening, but I'd be infuriated if it was)

If I had no satisfaction from the retailer, I'd tell about 20 other "shoppers" hoping they would tell another twenty each...

Lifter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom