Looking for a good Red Sangria recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Cook
These are just yummy and I am having a get together in a few weeks and would love to have a pitcher of this!

My SO keeps tring to make the perfect sangria. We aren't there yet. I'm hoping a recipe posted here will get the job done for her.

Rachel on Oprah

http://www2.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/200605/food_20060512_spritz.jhtml

Rachael Ray's sangria is quick, easy and oh so delicious!

INGREDIENTS
• 2 tsp. sugar
• 1 orange sliced
• A good shot of brandy
• 5–6 oz. Rioja wine
• Splash lemon-lime club soda

Add sugar, 2 orange slices and a good shot of brandy to a cocktail shaker. Muddle together until the sugar is dissolved. Add ice cubes to the shaker along with the Rioja wine. Shake and strain into a martini glass and top with a splash of lemon-lime club soda. Garnish with an orange slice.

I can't say this is good because I don't have all the ingredients. Just watching Rachel makes one want to try what she makes. Oprah for one looked like she was impressed w/things she made on her show. I always figure people on tv are always looking for the best, so I hope this is one of them.

Here ya go, Lori:

http://www.wineintro.com/sangria/

Also depends on if you prefer red or white wine. The White can be very refreshing. Check out the White Sangria recipe. Serve it in a glass pitcher to enjoy the eye-pleasing fruits floating around. Best Sangria I ever had was in Central Park, New York City, at a cafe near Bathesda Fountain. Wish I asked for their recipe. Enjoy!

Can't beat this view for Sangria drinking.

img_0380.JPG

Last edited:
mish

thanks. Needed that. Only wish you could be there to hear the noise of the fountain. You are lucky.

In the Kitchen said:
thanks. Needed that. Only wish you could be there to hear the noise of the fountain. You are lucky.

ITK, I get so homesick for New York City when I see the pics. You could rent a rowboat or watch the boats go by. What a time I had! Makes me long for Lincoln Center, walking thru Central Park to work on Madison Ave., the ballet, Broadway shows, and on and on. Ahhh, Sangria. Will have to make a batch soon. Funny how food brings back good memories :)

Last edited:
In the Kitchen said:
http://www2.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/200605/food_20060512_spritz.jhtml

Rachael Ray's sangria is quick, easy and oh so delicious!

INGREDIENTS
• 2 tsp. sugar
• 1 orange sliced
• A good shot of brandy
• 5–6 oz. Rioja wine
• Splash lemon-lime club soda

Add sugar, 2 orange slices and a good shot of brandy to a cocktail shaker. Muddle together until the sugar is dissolved. Add ice cubes to the shaker along with the Rioja wine. Shake and strain into a martini glass and top with a splash of lemon-lime club soda. Garnish with an orange slice. .

This is a recipe for a single serving. I like to make it by the pitcher.

I pour a bottle of fruity red wine into a pitcher. I add some fresh squeezed lime, lemon and oraneg and some cut up lime, lemon, orange, apples and cherries (if I can get them). I add a cup of good brandy. Then 1/2 liter of club soda or dry orange soda (you can add more). Then sugar to taste (start with maybe 1/4 cup). Let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.

Jenny, I remember you posting about sangria last summer. I'm not a big fan of sweet drinks, but maybe this summer is the time to branch out and 'speriment a little while we are at the beach.

What do you recommend serving/eating with sangria?

mudbug said:
Jenny, I remember you posting about sangria last summer. I'm not a big fan of sweet drinks, but maybe this summer is the time to branch out and 'speriment a little while we are at the beach.

What do you recommend serving/eating with sangria?

I got addicted .... bought 2 cases of $2 red wine and made it all the time, as above. You can limit the amount of added sugar to make it less sweet.

Tapas are wonderful with it, but I drink and serve it with just about anything, especially anything made on the grill.

I have made sangria at least a half dozen times already this spring, most recently with white wine, lime, lemon, orange and grapefruit. I had also run out of brandy, which made it a wine cooler, I suppose and not sangria, but it tasted very nice.

Brandy is included in most sangria recipes. Some sub Cointreau (which I don't usually use, though I did one day when out of brandy).

Without that, IMO, you have made a wine cooler (wine plus fizzy water) with fruit in it.

gotcha. I always trust your advice, even tho I usually think of brandy as something that need to be consumed neat on a cold winter night.

I use two parts red wine, one part cranberry juice, one part diet 7up. I'm usually serving this on very hot summer days, so do not make mine as heavily alcoholic as is traditional. Then I pour into large clear glass pitchers, and instead of ice cubes I toss in frozen blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.

I often make a white version (replacing the cranberry juice with white grape juice). Frozen green grapes for the ice.

Both versions get slices of mixed citrus.

A pitcher of each makes for a pretty table.

jennyema said:
I pour a bottle of fruity red wine into a pitcher. I add some fresh squeezed lime, lemon and oraneg and some cut up lime, lemon, orange, apples and cherries (if I can get them). I add a cup of good brandy. Then 1/2 liter of club soda or dry orange soda (you can add more). Then sugar to taste (start with maybe 1/4 cup). Let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.

I'm not a wine drinker... but LOVE the sangrias I've tried in restaurants.

So what are some examples of a fruity red wine? Also a good brandy?

I'm definitely making this for a dinner party on Saturday.

Thanks so much!!!

spryte said:
I'm not a wine drinker... but LOVE the sangrias I've tried in restaurants.

So what are some examples of a fruity red wine? Also a good brandy?

This page describes some fruity red wines: Wine Lovers' Page / April on Wine

re: good brandy, like anything else, what's good to me may not be good to you :) But this page - Cook's Thesaurus: Brandies - describes brandies in general, which should help you narrow it down.

I like to put one entire sliced orange, lemon and lime in my sangria, along with the other ingredients, and let it sit in the fridge overnight before adding the soda water. And because I like pink wine, that's what's in my sangria :chef:

Back
Top Bottom