"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 02-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Maker's Mark Mint Julep?

Anyone tried this? I saw it on Ebay and emailed Maker's Mark. They told me it's a Kentucky-only item, sold around the Kentucky Derby.

I love Maker's and I'm curious to know how it tastes. Maybe a road trip is in order in May?

Old 02-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Head Chef

Is Maker's Mark the bourbon sponsor for the Derby this year?

I've never seen the mint julep in the bottle, but Makers is one of my favorite bourbons for making mint juleps (as well as for drinking "neat").

Some other favorites are Knob Creek and Woodruff Reserve

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I've seen the Maker's Mint Julep in the store a few times, but never tried it. I prefer to make my own.

If you get the chance, try Buffalo Trace or Blanton's. They are my personal favorites.

"The weak ones fall, the strong carry on"
-Tom Petty-
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
When I lived in Kentucky I had a chance to have bottled Mint Julep. You are better off finding a recipe and making your own. Also make sure to buy fresh mint as a garnish. I love Makers Mark and have visited the distillery but some things are just different when bottled. Early Times makes a bottled version as well. Here is a recipe.

The Early Times Mint Julep Recipe

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
Sprigs of fresh mint
Crushed ice
Kentucky Bourbon Whisky
Silver Julep Cups

Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight. Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Early Times Kentucky Whisky. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.

Traditionally these are consumed from a julep cup which is made from siler and shaped like a 10oz plastic cup. I have enjoyed Juleps around Derby time in anything from water bottels to coffee cups depending on the time of day.

Enjoy!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #5
Master Chef

I've never been a bourbon fan. My drink of choice while watching the Derby on TV is a nice chilled glass of champagne.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Master Chef

Champagne if I win!

I watch the Derby from the racetrack where I am dropping loads of money. I do not wear a fancy hat.

Mint Juleps are so easy to make that I don't really understand a mix.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Well, what it is is that I'm lazy.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
Head Chef

Ekim, if you plan on going to the KD you are only going to be able to get into the central area, tickets for seats have been sold out for a very long time.

Only went once, many years ago, and stayed in the middle with the hoards. It was fun but won't do that today. Very crowded, and could not see the races.

Agree with Jennyma, they are so simple to make there is no reason to buy premade.

Usually just take some mint leaves (note: mint in many northern areas will not be up by Derby day, need to find it in the stores), sorta mash them a bit, put them into the glass, add bourbon and simple syrup over crushed ice. Can garnish with a few leaves if you wish.

Have never understood the hoopla about the drink, except it is traditional for the Derby.

Enjoy!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Well I was wanting to take the distillery tour anyhow. Attending the race is the last thing on my mind. When I get my motorcycle fixed, I think that trip is in order.

I think I'll have to go buy some fresh mint regardless.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #10
Master Chef

A few years ago, when we were full-timing "on the road" we took the Maker's Mark tour and the Jack Daniels one, then we went to Churchill Downs for the weekend AFTER the race, and enjoyed all fully. My Virginia freinds swear that they need Makers Mark for a good mint julep, but I've also used Jim Beam with good results. Now that hubby avoids sugar, I didn't even bother this weekend. Another fun tradition down the drain.