Marchesi di Barolo, vintage 2001

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had that particular wine many times, but there's a lot of different types. Can you find if it has one of the following on the label:

Vino da Tavola
DOC
DOCG

That's basically how Italian wine is rated in terms of growth and production. In that order, it's similar to how the French rate their cognac (VS, VSOP, XO)

It should be good though. Barolos are big reds that stand up to strong flavors like stews, braised dishes (think Osso Bucco or Spezzatino which is a hearty Italian stew). Barolo is my choice of wine to use when making Osso Bucco as well.

Last edited:
the DOCG (Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita) is the good stuff ,o))

but Barolo usually is a good wine... and so is this one.... enjoy it!

cara, that's exactly what it says on the front of the bottle.

I figured that Vino da Tavola meant table wine - kind of like "kitchen sippin' whiskey" over here.

It better be the good stuff for what I paid for it! It's got a very nice finish to it.

Guess I'm going to have to work more overtime hours to get more of this lovely vintage.

the Barolos are even in Germany quite expensive.... I think it must be even more over there...
do you have a special event to celebrate or just for wellness reasons?

hey, but you are not drinking it while you are at the computer? ;o)

search for some good music, dim the light and relax...

Good music is on, house is at peace, and I am talking with my friends at DC for the first sustained time in awhile. I get to actually make a real dinner tonight. Life is good.

you will shudder, ic - I'm making salmon and a potato gratin.

I'm thinking that my next bottle will be reserved for some osso buco as you recommend, or some other hearty beef dish (spring ain't here yet!). I will see if I can find the Barbarescos. (Got the Barolo at Costco, btw.)

Eventually you can drink your way further south and start getting into some Super Tuscans (if you haven't already). You'll find that the wines from different regions will have distinctly different characteristics as well. A wine from Piedmont will taste noticeably different than a wine from Umbria. Have you just started on Italian reds or have you been drinking them for awhile?

Nope, not that rich.

Heard my sis sing the praises of Barolo when she went to Italy on a skiing trip and thought it was high time I sampled a decent wine instead of my everyday plonk.

I'm likely to be making some extra spending money for another month or two, so I would appreciate any suggestions you have. I always appreciate your taste in food and drink.

The Super Tuscans are normally the most expensive. Look for wines from Sicily, Veneto, Umbria, Puglia, Lazio, and Campagnia for a variety of affordable reds. Many Italian reds are blends, and contain usually 2-4 types of grapes.

mudbug said:
Nope, not that rich.

Heard my sis sing the praises of Barolo when she went to Italy on a skiing trip and thought it was high time I sampled a decent wine instead of my everyday plonk.

I'm likely to be making some extra spending money for another month or two, so I would appreciate any suggestions you have. I always appreciate your taste in food and drink.
Found this Barolo at Trader Joes and also a Barbaresco..Loved both..Now I want to go look for some of the Tuscans Ironchef was mentioning.Dh bought me a wine cooler for my whites and I store the reds in my pantry which stays cool but not cold..Think I'll go find something to go with our roasted chicken tonight:LOL:

Enjoy your wonderful wine and your supper..You really deserve it. So glad to see you with us this weekend:)

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom