Marsala Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I picked me up a bottle of Marsala Wine last night because I remembered seeing a Emeril preparing a Chicken dish (Chicken Marsala) using this type of wine and I wanted to try my hand at it. Anyway when I was in line at the checkout I read where it was a dessert wine. Well then I questioned if it was the right wine and maybe I needed Marlot. Well today I see that I had the right wine and now I can kick myself for not buying it. Anyway I thought I'd post it here.

-Anyone care to share their Marsala Recipes?
-How long will the bottle last after I open it?
-I don't refrigerate this wine do I?

There are actually two versions pf Marsala wine, sweet and dry.

The sweet is indeed a dessert wine and is used mostly in dessert recipes. The dry is used in savory dishes such as veal or chicken Marsala. They are wines fortified with added alcohol, often in the form of brandy.

If you want to make Emeril's chicken marsala, you'll need the dry marsala. You really cannot substitute merlot, the flavors are nothing alike.

Because it's fortified, it will last a long time in a cabinet away from heat sources such as your stove.

Although I agree with Andy most of the time :D and do agree that you can't substitute Merlot for Marsala, you can indeed make Chicken Marsala with Dry or Sweet Marsala.

In fact, after their usual copious testing, America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated recommends Sweet Marsala for Chicken Marsala. I admit I can't remember why, though.

Their recipe is on their website. I have made it a few times (I do like Lidia's general recipe better) and it's tasty with the sweet Marsala.

The bottle will be marked sweet or dry. I usually use Florio brand.

Here's a good one (and pretty healthy, too!)

Chicken Marsala Casserole

3/4 c flour
1 (8 oz) carton low-fat sour cream
1 c fat free milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp coarsley ground black pepper
1 (16 oz) can fat free less sodium chicken broth
1/2 c Marsala wine
1/3 c chopped celery
1/8 tsp ground cardamom (I usually use nutmeg or cinnamon)
1 lb skinned, boned chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
1 (8 oz) package presliced mushrooms)
2 c hot cooked angel hair (about 4 oz uncooked pasta)
cooking spray
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)

Preheat oven to 350F

Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. COmbine the flour and sour cream in a medium saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Add the milk, salt, pepper, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Place a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add the wine and the next 4 ingredients (through mushrooms) and cook for 10 minutes or until the liquid almost evaporates.

Combine the cream sauce, chicken misture, and pasta. Spoon into a 13x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350 for 30 min.

Yield 6 servings

(Cooking Light)[/b]

Here's a sort of non-traditional marsala dish I did the other day for my GF:

Veal Marsala

2 1-lb Veal Scallopini
1 cup veal stock (can be found in grocery stores. Beef stock will do if you can't find veal)
1 clove crushed garlic
4 shallots, diced
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
2 cups flour
2 tbsp crushed basil leaves
2 tbsp oregano
2 crushed bay leaves
~2 tbsp salt & pepper
1 cup dry marsala wine
1 cup sherry cooking wine
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 350F

Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a fry pan and melt 1 tbsp butter in the pan.

Using a mixing bowl, combine the flour and spices (basil, oregano, bay leaves, salt & pepper) in the bowl and lightly bread the veal scallopini. Add half of the garlic and shallots to the fry pan, lightly browning them before adding the scallopini, 1/2 cup sherry wine and 1/2 cup of marsala wine. Sear the scallopini until lightly browned on both sides and transfer the whole mixture to an oven-safe dish and place in the oven. Repeat the process for the next scallopini, using the rest of your garlic and shallots, sherry and marsala wine. Leave dish in oven.

Using a touch of marsala wine and the cup of stock, deglaze the fry pan and reduce until thick enough to coat a spoon. Pour sauce over the veal marsala and add tomato slices to the top. Continue to bake until the top of the sauce is caramelized and the tomatoes fall apart when touched with a fork.

Using a spatula, move the veal scallopini to a plate without losing the tomatoes. If you drop them, you can use fresh sliced tomato for garnish. Spoon the rest of the gravy mixture from the oven dish over the veal.

Best served with steamed veggies, buttered garlic pasta and/or garlic mashed potatoes. :)

Back
Top Bottom