Martinis: Shaken or Stirred?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saul

Cook
How do you guys make your martinis? My general rule is that I shake vodka martinis and stir gin martinis. Then again, I am a big James Bond fan and a gin fan so I occasionally shake gin too. I have heard that shaking gin absolutely kills the flavor. Does anyone else do their martinis this way?

How do you guys make your martinis? My general rule is that I shake vodka martinis and stir gin martinis. Then again, I am a big James Bond fan and a gin fan so I occasionally shake gin too. I have heard that shaking gin absolutely kills the flavor. Does anyone else do their martinis this way?

I shake mine with lots of ice, and walk past the vodka briskly with an open bottle of Vermouth -- well, I did. Now I look longingly at my friends' Martinis.

I never got a taste for Gin.

CD

Gin is an acquired taste for sure, I am a Bombay guy myself.

Vodka, no matter how expensive still reminds me of college parties. Vodka martinis must be shaken with lots of ice and vermouth for me.

I do neither. Just roll it around over ice in the shaker.

Shaken creates a cloudly drink with small chips of ice. Stirring is a why bother.

Gin, vermouth, olives. Nothing else is a martini.

I can't do gin either. Ages ago, when I was young and single, a friend of my (now) SIL loved martinis. Decided since I had never had one, I needed to experience his creation. He made it by all the rules, offered it up, and asked what I thought of it. "If I wanted pine juice, I'd just chew on the needles". He wasn't offended and laughed as he explained that it was juniper, not pine.

Not a fan of oysters, either. Bad enough with the sinus drainage I have all the time...

Other than bourbon, I can drink most boozes. I prefer my gin with tonic though. A gin martini would last me a veerrry looonng time.

Other than bourbon, I can drink most boozes. I prefer my gin with tonic though. A gin martini would last me a veerrry looonng time.
In that case you can have the gin and scotch that have been clogging up our booze box. Not even sure they're good anymore. We, however, will gleefully relieve you of any Bourbon.

Stirred with the mixer cup and the martini glass straight out of the freezer. But not the vodka as I like a slight watering as the ice melts but no ice pieces.

Vodka only - gin taste like a pine tree.

Interesting Post ..

Vodka Martini: Shaken like James Bond ..

Off top of my head, one of the Vodkas, I am veered towards is a Swedish Vodka, the Brand, with the letter "B" is cornerstone letter of name but at moment, I cannot recall how to spell it ..

Gin: My favorite Gin is Mare, made on the island of Minorca, Spain and Maverick, made in Southern Alicante. Both are completely Bio and small boutique production.

I like Mare, with tonic and Maverick Blue Gin with Blue Tonic ..

Have a nice day.

Gin is an acquired taste for sure, I am a Bombay guy myself.

Vodka, no matter how expensive still reminds me of college parties. Vodka martinis must be shaken with lots of ice and vermouth for me.
I tend to think that if it doesn't taste of anything it's a bit of a waste of money - unless you want to get drunk quickly and don't like other spirits.

I agree, Bombay Sapphire is my gin of choice too. There are those who claim that Tanqueray is the best gin for Martinis but I suppose it's a matter of the individual's choice

I tend to think that if it doesn't taste of anything it's a bit of a waste of money - unless you want to get drunk quickly and don't like other spirits.

I agree, Bombay Sapphire is my gin of choice too. There are those who claim that Tanqueray is the best gin for Martinis but I suppose it's a matter of the individual's choice

I have a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and one of Tanqueray in my cabinet. I bet both are at least 5 years old. I might have a gin and tonic once in 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom