Mojitos ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VickiQ

Sous Chef
I was wondering if anyone had a GOOD recipe from scratch for Mojitos???The mixes out ther just don't cut it!!!!Wishing you all a Happy Valentine's Day!!!!Vicki:LOL:

The mojito is a cuban cousin to our mint julep...I love those, too....
This is the recipe I use:

1.5 oz light rum
12 fresh mint leaves
1/2 lime
7 oz club soda
2 tbsp. simple syrup

For the smoothest mojitos, gently crush mint leaves and lightly squeeze lime in a cool tall glass. Pour simple syrup on top to cover and fill glass with ice.

Add rum, club soda, and stir your emerging mojito well. Garnish with a lime wedge, a few sprigs of mint, and enjoy.

Simple syrup:
Simple Syrup is little more then a mixture of sugar and water.

You first bring the water to a boil, then dissolve into this the sugar. Once the sugar is fully dissolved, you remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool. The resultant liquid is easily stored in a plastic squeeze bottle to make it easy to add to cocktails as necessary. The ratio of sugar to water can be left to personal preference, traditionally it is one part water to two parts sugar.

Erik that is pretty much how I have made mine except I used superfine sugar and ground it with the mint. If you are able to come accross any sugar cane sticks these are great served in the drink also. I think the best one I ever had was with the sugar cane stick added.

Erik and abj- Thank you both for replying-I am going to get the ingredients and make mojitos this weekend-a nice tropical touch will feel good with all the snow around here!!!!If it snows again my hubby would probably prefer this to yet another cup of hot chocolate after he clears the driveway!!!!Thanks again!!! Vicki

How could I have possibly missed a Mojito thread!!!!!

I too make a simple syrup just for ease of preparation. It is especially nice if there is a group of people drinking them - you don't have to muddle so hard.

The first time I had a Mojito fresh basil was used instead of mint. I'm sure everyone knows how interchangeable these two herbs are - it was GREAT!!!!

Yes VickiQ - I'd say a mojito would be a great way to get Spring fever!!!

Last edited:
Hmmm-This is a "green" drink kind of....Maybe I'll make a pitcher for before the Pre ST Pat's Day dinner on Sat;)
Ironchef-do you know a site where I can purchase sugar cane juice????
Thanks Vicki

This is weird, I never heard of this until last weekend in the Bahamas - we asked the bartender about the mortar and pestal he had on the bar and he said he used it for mojitos. He showed us how he made it: first he crushed fresh mint leaves in the mortar with pestal (sp?), then he added FRESH lime juice - and crushed some more. After this, it gets foggy (don't forget, I was drinking blueberry martinis) - but I think he poured it in a shaker and added what he called sugar cane (a mixture of fresh sugar cane and water) and shook it like a martini - I think that was it - oh, he may have added either fresh lime or more sugar cane at the end, but boy, was it good. He kept emphasizing fresh everything - he said that is the difference. Hope that helps.

I love mojitos. They are sucha tasty drink. I grow mint during the summer and a good amount of it goes to making these. I actually use an alcohol other than rum to make mine though. It is called Cachasa (or something like that. The lable is not written in English). It is a Brazilian (if memory serves) alcohol similar to rum. It is made from sugar cane so I feel it goes very well in a mojito.

GB said:
I love mojitos. They are sucha tasty drink. I grow mint during the summer and a good amount of it goes to making these. I actually use an alcohol other than rum to make mine though. It is called Cachasa (or something like that. The lable is not written in English). It is a Brazilian (if memory serves) alcohol similar to rum. It is made from sugar cane so I feel it goes very well in a mojito.

GB, where do you get this liquor? A speciality store? sounds good! I forgot to add in my recipe the rum - and it was a special rum - but can't remember the name - I do not think the label was in english either. :wacko:

I buy mine in a local liquor store that has a decent selection. They have a few different types of this. They have one that is ages one year and is white in color and then another that is aged 2 years and is gold in color. I actually prefer the one year stuff.

I just did a quick search and found this. I think the one pictured on this page is the one I get, but the picture is too small to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom