"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
Old 01-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
I've been to two out of three of those W VAs.... imagine that

pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Wow, I pass through Summersville and Morgantown on my way to my aunt's place in Seven Springs. May have to check it out.

My tolerance is pretty high, I'd be interested to see what moonshine would do.

Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Hey Callisto, what area of NC are you in? I can assure you there is plenty of homemade shine around. Many times in the fall of the year it is made as apple or peach brandy and has whole apples and peaches in the jar. I grew up around the stuff and have hung onto a tree limb several times in younger years throwing up and having to push my butt hole back down my throat.
I have been to many chicken stews and if you would look around and see 4 or 5 men off to the side standing around the back of a pickup truck, they are not trading hunting dogs. If you walk up and look in the bed you will almost always see one or more fruit jars sitting their. It is fairly plentiful in the Stokes County area of the state and as I said sort of a tradition at stews. I have turned up jars with lawyers, politicions and Superior Court judges.
I just looked in my refridgerator in the basement and saw 2 fruit jars on the bottom shelf with peaches and a sip or 2 left in them. Eating the peaches or apples from this can put you on your knees. LOL! Most of the brandys come in quart jars and is available by the case so you can hand them out to friends at Christmas. Most of the plain clear is in half gallon jars and is good kept in the freezer.
Just had to jump in here after seeing this thread. Brought back so many memories, or ones that I can remember!!!
Hope you get to try it sometime. Good homemade is much better than that store bought clear.

Oh, bought a half gallon of clear about a year ago and paid $20.00. And by the way, if you get offered a drink, turn up the jar and drink it straight from there. Bad manners to pour you a drink in a cup. Believe me, no germs on the jar.
Hooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Plum brandy and blackberry brandy - mighty fine stuff. The fruit is dangerous!

Our state motto:

North Carolina, where the moon comes over the mountains in gallon jugs

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Last year, my husband had two friends from Charleston, SC make the crossing in the boats from FL to MX. They brought us a little gift...moonshine with cherries. It is delicious to sip (only a little at a time) but it is potent. We still have the jar in the freezer on the boat. We share it every once in a while, it'll probably last us a another couple of years.

Clienta is offline   Reply With Quote