"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Moonshine

So I moved to the south where this illegal brew is supposed to flow like water. But I've not yet met anyone who knows anything about it. So I am curious, have you tasted moonshine? Is it really that strong??? Does it really taste like gasoline? I'm really curious. I thought after four years here I'd at least of had a sip of the stuff.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Master Chef

That's one of the persistant myths of the south. It really depends on where you live. Many NC cities are no longer the South of Yore. Moonshine is more plentiful in the most rural areas of the mountains. It is still illegal so you have to know someone. I personally have not had any. I suppose if offered some I would have to taste it but I am not a hard liquor type of person. There was a PBS special on Appalachia and moonshine shown recently. Billy Ray Cyrus was the host. It was quite interesting. They showed a whole lot of the whole culture of Applachian mountain people. Very informative.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Head Chef

moonshine is like everything else. There is good shine and bad shine.

I am lucky enough to get to drink some shine every so often. It is from a good distiller, very tasty. No, it doesn't taste like gasoline. The shine we get is slightly sweet with a touch of tequila flavor. It will knock your socks off, what we get varies from around 95 to 120 proof and it is clear as water.

Good shine is a real treat.

Unfortunately I have also tasted bad shine. That stuff makes gasoline taste good....
Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Head Chef

Actually have never had shine but have been to Scotch distilleries and have tasted the distillate, before it has been aged in casks.

Freshly distilled booze, that is what shine is.

And it is nothing I would recommend to anyone.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Master Chef

My dad, who grew up in Iowa farm country, had his share of corn liquor, (that's what moonshine is), and he said it really had no taste. It just burns going down.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
Head Chef

make no mistake, shine is still a big business here in NC and not just in the mountains.
I've tried 4 different still products, and 3 of them were worse than gasoline!

The other.... heaven! The moonshiner had been making it for more than 40 years, and
he gave me a pint of cherry and blueberry shine.

Without a doubt, it was the best tasting liqueur of its kind I have ever had. Smooth, subtle and sooo flavorful.

Back to the other stuff... it was scary, filtering it through an old T shirt, and it turned the shirt black... 3 times!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
What Jeff said.

From WV originally and now live in KY... it's around. The good stuff is very potent and tastes like a high quality tequila. If you don't much of a tolerance, it will do a number on you... but the better stuff I've had seems to be clean. Not a bad hangover, that's typical with trash liquor.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I got my hands on some stuff made from fruit rather than grain, and I can tell you it had a delightful palette, a nice floral bouquet, and a lingering afterburn (thank you, Monty Python).

Never again.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Why is making moonshine still illegal if you have all these hobbyists making their own beer, wine, brandy......? If you don't sell it would it still be illegal?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Head Chef

No, it is illegal to even distill it for your own use. HOWEVER there are 3 makers that took the time and expense to get licensed and they sell honest moonshine commercially.

Morgantown, West Virginia
Payton Fireman makes Mountain Moonshine spirit whiskey and Mountain Moonshine Old Oak Recipe in Bo McDaniel's old auto repair garage.American Whiskey: West Virginia Distilling Co. - Mountain Moonshine

Summersville, West Virginia
Rodney Facemire's distillery is (a very small) part of his Kirkwood Winery. He makes white brandy (grappa), Southern Moon white corn liquor, and white Isaiah Morgan Rye Whiskey.American Whiskey: Isaiah Morgan Rye Whiskey; Southern Moon Corn Liquor

Culpeper, Virginia
Chuck and Jeanette Miller have been making Virginia Lightning and Copper Fox here since 1989. Now they're being featured on public television and The History Channel and gearing up for visiting tourists. American Whiskey: Belmont Farms of Virginia - Virginia Lightning; Copper Fox