"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 11-20-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
My adventures in making mead

Sorry I haven't been around for so long. It's been a busy summer.

So now I'm making mead. What is mead? Basically, it's like wine, only made with honey instead of grapes. As a result, you get all sorts of opportunities to add flavors and spices.

Last Monday, I started a one-gallon batch of a recipe called Joe's Ancient Orange, which can be found here. Only one gallon, yes, because I'm experimenting, and in the end, I'd rather have lots of batches of different recipes going than bigger batches of just a few recipes.

The Ancient Orange also breaks a few rules: it uses bread yeast, requires no racking (transferring from one container to another to help fermentation and to clear the liquid up), and it usually done in about two months to be drank young. Who would've thought it?

I'm really interested in the use of mead and mead vinegars as ingredients in cooking, so this is quite an exciting experiment for me.

Just thought you all might be interested.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #2
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
yum yum! I love mead! The local store special orders it for me! Fascinating to read you are making it! Keep us posted on your adventure!

Old 11-20-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I know! I haven't even come close to finishing the first batch, and I'm already wanting to do others. I'm also thinking about buying three gallon carboys now, but my family would kill me. I'll probably only be able to do a few one-gallon batches at a time, unfortunately.

The one-gallon carboys and other related gear is pretty cheap, though ($6 for the whole setup, which includes an airlock to let the CO2 out). I also went ahead and also bought a siphon kit and a case of good-quality Grolsch-style flip-cap bottles (I'll be getting a lot more of those as I start making my own beers and sodas). Everything there ran me almost exactly $30 ($3 for the carboy, $3 for the airlock, $6 for the siphon kit, and $16 for the bottles).

So overall, including ingredients, my total investment to start out was no more than $40. Not the cheapest hobby, but by no means the most expensive. I need to make friends with an apiarist now, though.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Old 11-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #4
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Sorry to be a pest, but curious, what type of honey do you use? Fresh, commercial? My mother makes wine, and she always talks about it being a fairly cheap hobby too, not to mention she she just really enjoys it. Keeping me out of the wine is the biggest challenge she has faced thus far! She always says, "you cannot drink it until there is dust on the bottle".... so I told her I was going to open all their windows and drive up their gravel road 75mph on a good windy day! hehehehehe! Any good books you recommend regarding the process of making mead? I am thinking she may want to try it, she has had a few years where her grapes didn't do very well. Might be a good Christmas present..... can ya tell the wheels are turning?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

I, too, love mead! What else are you going to drink on a summer night while eating bread, cheese, sausages and fruit while watching Shakespear in the park? Okay - I like it at other times, too ... like Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Head Chef

Whoo Hoo!!

Another meadmaker! Cool!

I know what you mean about trying different batches. I seem to come up with ideas faster than I can ferment them.

Of course, I've only got two 3 gallon carboys, so the majority of the meads get made 5 gallons at a time.

Got a cherry, cinamon, and high gravity aged on oak going right now, with batches of margarita, pineapple, and who knows what else to follow over Christmas break.

John
Old 11-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Shannon,

I have yet to purchase any mead-making books. I got most of the information I have from the forums at Got Mead. They recommend a book called The Complete Meadmaker by Ken Schramm. I want to pick this up eventually.

I just purchased store-bought clover honey for the purpose. Ran me $8 for the two bottles I needed, which came out to four pounds worth. The first recipe I tried (which I linked to above) calls for 3 1/2 pounds. In the future, I want to try different, higher-quality honeys but for starting this works fine.

Pineapple mead? That sounds delicious. I'll do that for my next one. :)

My interests are all over the board. I'm really not a drinker, per se (a glass of wine or Guinness every once in a while), so my interest in making beers and meads is as much for cooking and vinegars as for drinking. I'm looking forward to seeing how this experiment turns out.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Head Chef

Ken's book is very good. He gets into some very good, scientific detail, but it also has lots of simple advice that minimalist meadmakers like me can appreciate. Plus he's a good guy. Had the opportunity to meet him and talk shop a few times.

I'll dig up the pineapple recipe and PM it to you. The only catch is that it's for 5 gallons and takes a while to properly age. Lousy necessary patience!!

John
Old 11-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #9
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
i have heard of mead and I know it is made from honey but what does it taste like?? Can you find it in liquor stores and what is the best flavor?
Educate me please....
Old 11-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

It is still popular in places like Devon and Cornwall - and I've visited a place in Sussex - here's their site. They don't just make mead, but lots of 'natural' flavoured wines and liquers. I have to confess that I don't like mead at all, but my sister does!

http://www.lurgashall.co.uk/aboutus....00000001666338