Need a Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChezScooby

Assistant Cook
I'm not even sure where to put this post, so it's going here. :rolleyes: I am looking for a recipe. It's a powder that you use to make wine slushies. I bought some at our Street Fair today and I've had it at a friends, but sheese $12.00 a pop :wacko:....ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! I have to find out what is in the mix to make my own!! Anyone?? :question:

I'm sorry I can't be of any help with a powder recipe but I have a good brandy slush or lime slush recipe if you are interested ... I've also purchased a wine based slush from a friend who sells Tastefully Simple. You add a bottle of wine to the container, mix in their mixture and freeze. It was a little expensive for me so I stick to the other recipes I have.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't be of any help with a powder recipe but I have a good brandy slush or lime slush recipe if you are interested ... I've also purchased a wine based slush from a friend who sells Tastefully Simple. You add a bottle of wine to the container, mix in their mixture and freeze. It was a little expensive for me so I stick to the other recipes I have.

Lime slush sounds good, please share :)
Not sure about the wine slush either, sorry!

I didn't want to interfere with your original question so I put the recipe in another thread. Enjoy!

not seen the "powder" meself, but alcohol does not freeze at 32'F / 0'C.

I suspect the powder is simply a "thickener" - could be pectin based, any starch base - arrowroot, corn starch, flour based, etc.

it could also be straight out of the chem lab....

did google discover:
" All natural ingredients: Sugar, Tea, Citric Acid, Natural Flavoring, Beet Powder

beet powder? gets better:
"Product Features
  • Beet powder is made from ripe red beets that are cooked, peeled, sliced, dried and then ground.
  • Can be used for gravies and soups, food coloring, and it is sometimes used to make lipstick.
  • Save money with combined shipping by ordering several items from Barry Farm.

OK, this is the easy way. Take one can of frozen fruit juice. The original recipe is for daquiries, so limeade, but it works equally well with almost any frozen fruit juice). Fill the can with rum (any other distilled beverage would work), then twice with 7-up (yes, diet works fine). Freeze over night. It will not freeze solid, but will turn in to a slush. The original recipe (handed down from my mom) was for limeade and 7 up and white rum. But in fact I've done it with cranberry juice, 7 up, and vodka; OJ, 7 up and vodka, etc.

OK, this is the easy way. Take one can of frozen fruit juice. The original recipe is for daquiries, so limeade, but it works equally well with almost any frozen fruit juice). Fill the can with rum (any other distilled beverage would work), then twice with 7-up (yes, diet works fine). Freeze over night. It will not freeze solid, but will turn in to a slush. The original recipe (handed down from my mom) was for limeade and 7 up and white rum. But in fact I've done it with cranberry juice, 7 up, and vodka; OJ, 7 up and vodka, etc.

Gotta love slush! I really think it's a Midwest thing :).

Drat. I'm trying to find my husband's now deceased ex boss's wife's recipe for Bourbon Slush. It was a staple for all corporate get-togethers, and was delicious. They were originally from Alabama. Will post when I find it!

Last edited:
This one is so easy. I actually learned to do it in Germany when I was 11. No, I wasn't allowed to drink more than a sip! I'll have to ask Mom who taught it to her! The main thing is keeping the juice/soda/alcohol balance about the same, otherwise it will freeze solid (not enough booze) or won't freeze at all (too much booze). The only problem I've had with this recipe is people thinking that it was a wimp drink. Once a guy thought it was not alcoholic and was adding a shot of bourbon to it, and a Chinese friend drank some and got immediately sick (some Asian women cannot metabolize alcohol, something I did not know at the time).But generally this is a hit. I once made three punch bowls of it for a wedding shower; one with vodka, cranberry juice and 7 up, one with limeade, rum, and 7 up, one with pink lemonade ... well, you get the picture. It was a huge hit. Haven't made it in years, mostly because I don't have a big freezer any more.

Hi I'm not really familiar with the powder you're asking about though I'm guessing that as it's a powder, maybe gelatin?. I'm thinking of powdered jelly I think.

Gotta love slush! I really think it's a Midwest thing :).

We buy it by the gallon in the summer. Doesn't last long. I go through about three gallons every summer. And that is for adults alone. The Italian community in Boston have been making for generations. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom