Need a Wine for a Tomato Tart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm making a tomato tart for one of the appies tomorrow, we have all types of things to drink but we have several couples who adore wine even with ice cream:LOL: Any suggestions on a nice wine i can serve them? any thing else that comes to mind would be appreciated as well..Thanks.

kadesma;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For a Tomato Tart I would serve a nice smooth pinot grigio (not too tart) or an Austrian gruner veltliner.

It really depends on their taste. I always keep a few reds and whites on hand for guests. If it were me, either a pinot grigio, chardonnay or beaujolais.

Thanks for the help..I have a pinot all chilled in my cellar, I'll pick up the austrian one Elf mentioned..have all types of reds so I think I'm set..
kadesma:)

ironchef said:
What's some of the other flavors that will be prevailent in the tart?
IC,
I'm using phylo as the base, each sheet will be sprinkled with some parmesan, and thyme til I get to the last sheet, then there will be shredded mozzarella, more parm, thinly sliced sweet onion, and thin sliced romas..I plan to bake til the cheese melts and serve...

kadesma

I would actually recommend a California chardonnay with either preparation. It doesn't have to be from Cali, but most Cali chards are built with certain characteristics in mind (full bodied white), and those are the ones you'd want with this dish. Affordable bottles which would easy to find, would be wines from Hess, Estancia, Wente, or Chalone. With strong flavors like parmesan and thyme, and with the ingredients resembling a Neapolitan pizza, a full bodied white like a chard should pair well with the tart. A pinot grigio might be a bit too acidic and crisp for this particular preperation considering the cheeses being used as well as the other flavorings. A sauvignon or fume blanc would work better if you don't want to go with the chard. If it was a tomato salad with arugula and balsamic vinegar the I would use the pinot grigio without any hesitation. For a red, a few that I think would work well would be a chianti, zinfandel, or cabernet franc.

Thanks IC,
since my DH bought me a good size wine cellar I have all the ones you mention so I'm set..Thanks again for the help.

kadesma

kadesma said:
IC,
I'm using phylo as the base, each sheet will be sprinkled with some parmesan, and thyme til I get to the last sheet, then there will be shredded mozzarella, more parm, thinly sliced sweet onion, and thin sliced romas..I plan to bake til the cheese melts and serve...

kadesma

I don't know about the wine but this sounds great.
I can't wait until Paul's tomatoes start to grow. The store ones just suck!!!:) Have a great day!!!

Seems to me that as acidic as tomatoes are, that Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio/Gris would just add to that... an unoaked Chardonnay is a better white choice, to me, but I'm thinking a dry Rosé... that's what they drink with "summer food" in Provence, where the tomato is Queen. one like Domaine Ott that has a little sparkle to it would be fabulous.

My favorite Italian "food white" is Gavi. It's from the Piedmont area and is made from the Cortese grape. It's a little softer than some other varieties. That would work here, too, I think.

Since it's an appy, however, you could also go with the all-time appy wine, Sparkling! Don't know what you might have on hand, but unless it's sweet, it's likely to pair just fine.

Have a fabulous and delicious 4th, everyone! :)

Hi Pds,
I have tons of tomatoes, but am going to use half roma and half my own..I'm not sure if mine will work they have a lot more juice than the romas and I don't want the phylo crust to get soggy..So we shall see. I'm betting either way will be good tho..Have a wonderful 4th..be safe..

ChefJune,
thanks for all the wonderful ideas. The sparkling wines I have on hand are a prosecco and a Gallo Ballatore a friend gave me..So, if you've a suggestion, I'd love to hear it and will pick some up tomorrow as most of the liquor stores are open..

kadesma said:
ChefJune,
thanks for all the wonderful ideas. The sparkling wines I have on hand are a prosecco and a Gallo Ballatore a friend gave me..So, if you've a suggestion, I'd love to hear it and will pick some up tomorrow as most of the liquor stores are open..
the Prosecco ought to work fine! :) It has a nice soft mouthfeel, like Gavi.

I don't know much about fine wine, but your post/request made me think & ask a question, if I may... does one serve different wines for each course? I took a look at your menu

zuchinni torta, rice torta,phyllo,layered with parm, tomatoe slices, the torta's are part of the appies. as are spinach dip in a loaf of baguettes toasted, brushed with evoo, then topped for a gorgonzola that is very soft and creamy,we put them under the broiler and when the cheese starts to melt, we remove them and drizzle with a good honey, the tomatoe layerd phylo, and what ever everyone else decides to bring..dessert :LOL: a lady fingers layered with strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream, plus , chocolate,strawberry ice cream with al types of toppings if that is what they want..anything else that shows up will be fair game to all:LOL:

...and, looking at the menu in its entirety/occasion and variety of courses and flavors, I might go with a white wine sangria or one wine that would go with the entire meal - unless it is appropo? to serve different wine with different courses. Noticed you have a lot of bread both in both appys (tomato tart and spinach dip in bread), as well as burgers, dogs (buns). I might forgo the spinach dip in bread, & go with grilled asparagus wrapped in proscuitto, but that's just my humble opinion. The tomato tart sounds wonderful. Please, do, share the recipe. TIA Everything sounds wonderful! Have a great 4th & let us know how it all turns out. :chef:

Last edited:
Hi Amy,
yes there is a ton of carbs in this meal:LOL: But then it just a usual thing here. My kids all get to pick some thing they enjoy and we make it...My oldest girl, wanted to bring something and she pick thespinach dip and the rice torta, I couldn't say know as she has finally shown some interest in food other than eating it:LOL: The youngest is helping by slicing and dicing..Around here you are apt to find just about everything and anything on the table..Oh yes, as I said in another post things get added and someone decided we needed asparagus so grilled asparagus has been added..After today everyone is either going to be ill, or bounce if they fall:ROFLMAO:
The tomatoe tart I'll post for you tomorrow, my oven is screaming at me to come remove the stuffed chile peppers..As to wines if we have a fancy dinner we might serve different wines with different courses..I'm not a stickler on this, if the kids want wine, okay if they want beer, or soda that's okay by me..The most important thing is that we are together and enjoying it. Happy 4th Amy

kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom