"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-04-2007, 12:30 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
IC,
I'm using phylo as the base, each sheet will be sprinkled with some parmesan, and thyme til I get to the last sheet, then there will be shredded mozzarella, more parm, thinly sliced sweet onion, and thin sliced romas..I plan to bake til the cheese melts and serve...

kadesma

I don't know about the wine but this sounds great.
I can't wait until Paul's tomatoes start to grow. The store ones just suck!!! Have a great day!!!

Old 07-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Seems to me that as acidic as tomatoes are, that Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Grigio/Gris would just add to that... an unoaked Chardonnay is a better white choice, to me, but I'm thinking a dry Rosť... that's what they drink with "summer food" in Provence, where the tomato is Queen. one like Domaine Ott that has a little sparkle to it would be fabulous.

My favorite Italian "food white" is Gavi. It's from the Piedmont area and is made from the Cortese grape. It's a little softer than some other varieties. That would work here, too, I think.

Since it's an appy, however, you could also go with the all-time appy wine, Sparkling! Don't know what you might have on hand, but unless it's sweet, it's likely to pair just fine.

Have a fabulous and delicious 4th, everyone!

Old 07-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Pds,
I have tons of tomatoes, but am going to use half roma and half my own..I'm not sure if mine will work they have a lot more juice than the romas and I don't want the phylo crust to get soggy..So we shall see. I'm betting either way will be good tho..Have a wonderful 4th..be safe..

kadesma
Old 07-04-2007, 02:23 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

ChefJune,
thanks for all the wonderful ideas. The sparkling wines I have on hand are a prosecco and a Gallo Ballatore a friend gave me..So, if you've a suggestion, I'd love to hear it and will pick some up tomorrow as most of the liquor stores are open..
kadesma
Old 07-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
ChefJune,
thanks for all the wonderful ideas. The sparkling wines I have on hand are a prosecco and a Gallo Ballatore a friend gave me..So, if you've a suggestion, I'd love to hear it and will pick some up tomorrow as most of the liquor stores are open..
kadesma
the Prosecco ought to work fine! It has a nice soft mouthfeel, like Gavi.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you that is what we will have.

kadesma
Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #17
Head Chef

I don't know much about fine wine, but your post/request made me think & ask a question, if I may... does one serve different wines for each course? I took a look at your menu

zuchinni torta, rice torta,phyllo,layered with parm, tomatoe slices, the torta's are part of the appies. as are spinach dip in a loaf of baguettes toasted, brushed with evoo, then topped for a gorgonzola that is very soft and creamy,we put them under the broiler and when the cheese starts to melt, we remove them and drizzle with a good honey, the tomatoe layerd phylo, and what ever everyone else decides to bring..dessert a lady fingers layered with strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream, plus , chocolate,strawberry ice cream with al types of toppings if that is what they want..anything else that shows up will be fair game to all

...and, looking at the menu in its entirety/occasion and variety of courses and flavors, I might go with a white wine sangria or one wine that would go with the entire meal - unless it is appropo? to serve different wine with different courses. Noticed you have a lot of bread both in both appys (tomato tart and spinach dip in bread), as well as burgers, dogs (buns). I might forgo the spinach dip in bread, & go with grilled asparagus wrapped in proscuitto, but that's just my humble opinion. The tomato tart sounds wonderful. Please, do, share the recipe. TIA Everything sounds wonderful! Have a great 4th & let us know how it all turns out.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Amy,
yes there is a ton of carbs in this meal But then it just a usual thing here. My kids all get to pick some thing they enjoy and we make it...My oldest girl, wanted to bring something and she pick thespinach dip and the rice torta, I couldn't say know as she has finally shown some interest in food other than eating it The youngest is helping by slicing and dicing..Around here you are apt to find just about everything and anything on the table..Oh yes, as I said in another post things get added and someone decided we needed asparagus so grilled asparagus has been added..After today everyone is either going to be ill, or bounce if they fall
The tomatoe tart I'll post for you tomorrow, my oven is screaming at me to come remove the stuffed chile peppers..As to wines if we have a fancy dinner we might serve different wines with different courses..I'm not a stickler on this, if the kids want wine, okay if they want beer, or soda that's okay by me..The most important thing is that we are together and enjoying it. Happy 4th Amy

kadesma