"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 07-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
We have friends who just got back from New Orleans, and they said it was heart-breaking to see what Katrina took away. I talked to a fellow who has lived there all his life, and he says it will never be the same.
Somehow, I feel the city will bounce back. It's seen hard times before.

Kim drinks Captain Morgans (the regular stuff), but he's not tried the "Tattoo". What's the difference?

I agree, the hurricanes are pretty sweet, Vera. When I'm someplace like that, I pretty well stick with what I'm used to...lite beer with an occasional shot of something interesting. If I'm going to drink something stout and get down and dirty, I want to do it at home or a friends house. I'm getting to old to show my butt in public.
Besides, when in a city with a crime rate like New Orleans, at least one person in the party needs to keep their wits about them. Getting mugged can sure ruin a great weekend.
The quarter is already bouncing back. I was there christmas week into New Year's Day. My feelings ran the gamut being back...and now I'm looking forward to going again in March.

The Tattoo is spiced, but lighter in taste than most spiced rums. It was very very dark in colour. When I travel I like to try something indigenous to the area, rather like eating what the locals eat...

I never had any trouble with crime of any sort each time I visited NOLA.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
i was born & raised in the new orleans area, and katrina has ruined the city.

the news isn't there focused hard anymore, but the city is REALLY struggling on its comeback trail.

the french quarter and other tourist "hot spots" are OK, but step outside those locations... say, 5 blocks away and NOTHING has changed.
amen, black chef. My dad was born in Algiers and retired to Kenner some time ago after living in the Chicago area for most of his working life. He reports the same thing you do.

I'm trying to talk them into moving.

Still, I always loved visiting and hope that beautiful town gets back on its feet again. It won't be quite the same, but still.......

Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #13
Executive Chef

wonders

Have you all noticed how you reminisce about things that relate to a drink? the world isn't so big after all. We all seem connect ed in some way., Only proves that when you get friends and a drink together what wonderful things happen. Sounds so delightful to be in on this sharing together. Brings out the best in people.

Thanks for sharing recipe and myth that accompanies it. We all like Dr. Pepper no matter how it is served.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef
i was born & raised in the new orleans area, and katrina has ruined the city.

the news isn't there focused hard anymore, but the city is REALLY struggling on its comeback trail.

the french quarter and other tourist "hot spots" are OK, but step outside those locations... say, 5 blocks away and NOTHING has changed.

about the drinks... well, new orleans is party central and drinks are always welcome.
I read you loud and clear. I have friends who have a historic restaurant in the Treme that was ruined, as were all their homes, and they are now all living in FEMA trailers and rebuilding their restaurant and praying there will be no "Katrinas" in New Orleans this year! (or ever again!)