New Orleans Weather Forecast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Spice Rum (we used Captain Morgan's new Tattoo rum)
Ginger beer
lime wedge
rock candy swizzle stick

The idea behind this drink, created at the Commander's Palace, in the Garden District by Jamie (executive chef) was to listen to the weather forecast during hurricane season, and then sit on the porch, drinking this drink, betting if the forecast was going to be right or not.

I've been to the quarter several times before Katrina, dining at Commander's Palace each time...and I've been there since Katrina, just 4 months after...

Leave it to this remarkable city to have a drink like this.

Try it, it's amazing, and tastes remarkably like Dr. Pepper! The Captain Morgan's Tattoo is wonderful!:chris:

Well, they also have a drink called a "hurricane". Somehow, I no longer find this as amusing as I once did.

I thought I'd missed the weather report....now I need one of those drinks.:LOL:

Gretchen said:
Well, they also have a drink called a "hurricane". Somehow, I no longer find this as amusing as I once did.

I always found the hurricane to be way too sweet.

We have friends who just got back from New Orleans, and they said it was heart-breaking to see what Katrina took away. I talked to a fellow who has lived there all his life, and he says it will never be the same. :(
Somehow, I feel the city will bounce back. It's seen hard times before.

Kim drinks Captain Morgans (the regular stuff), but he's not tried the "Tattoo". What's the difference?

I agree, the hurricanes are pretty sweet, Vera. When I'm someplace like that, I pretty well stick with what I'm used to...lite beer with an occasional shot of something interesting. If I'm going to drink something stout and get down and dirty, I want to do it at home or a friends house. I'm getting to old to show my butt in public.
Besides, when in a city with a crime rate like New Orleans, at least one person in the party needs to keep their wits about them. Getting mugged can sure ruin a great weekend.

VeraBlue said:
I always found the hurricane to be way too sweet.

Doesn't change my mind about not feeling like these drinks are as 'cute" as they were a year ago.

i was born & raised in the new orleans area, and katrina has ruined the city.

the news isn't there focused hard anymore, but the city is REALLY struggling on its comeback trail.

the french quarter and other tourist "hot spots" are OK, but step outside those locations... say, 5 blocks away and NOTHING has changed.

about the drinks... well, new orleans is party central and drinks are always welcome.

Constance:
If I'm going to drink something stout and get down and dirty, I want to do it at home or a friends house. I'm getting to old to show my butt in public.

People pay me to keep my clothes on....:LOL:

I am a Captain Morgan affectionado and an official member of the 'Captain's Crew'. I was at an event not long ago where they had wandering servers with free Tattoo shots. It's nice... sweeter than the usual Spiced Rum and almost black in color.

Constance said:
We have friends who just got back from New Orleans, and they said it was heart-breaking to see what Katrina took away. I talked to a fellow who has lived there all his life, and he says it will never be the same. :(
Somehow, I feel the city will bounce back. It's seen hard times before.

Kim drinks Captain Morgans (the regular stuff), but he's not tried the "Tattoo". What's the difference?

I agree, the hurricanes are pretty sweet, Vera. When I'm someplace like that, I pretty well stick with what I'm used to...lite beer with an occasional shot of something interesting. If I'm going to drink something stout and get down and dirty, I want to do it at home or a friends house. I'm getting to old to show my butt in public.
Besides, when in a city with a crime rate like New Orleans, at least one person in the party needs to keep their wits about them. Getting mugged can sure ruin a great weekend.

The quarter is already bouncing back. I was there christmas week into New Year's Day. My feelings ran the gamut being back...and now I'm looking forward to going again in March.

The Tattoo is spiced, but lighter in taste than most spiced rums. It was very very dark in colour. When I travel I like to try something indigenous to the area, rather like eating what the locals eat...

I never had any trouble with crime of any sort each time I visited NOLA.

black chef said:

the news isn't there focused hard anymore, but the city is REALLY struggling on its comeback trail.

the french quarter and other tourist "hot spots" are OK, but step outside those locations... say, 5 blocks away and NOTHING has changed.

amen, black chef. My dad was born in Algiers and retired to Kenner some time ago after living in the Chicago area for most of his working life. He reports the same thing you do.

I'm trying to talk them into moving.

Still, I always loved visiting and hope that beautiful town gets back on its feet again. It won't be quite the same, but still.......

wonders

Have you all noticed how you reminisce about things that relate to a drink? the world isn't so big after all. We all seem connect ed in some way., Only proves that when you get friends and a drink together what wonderful things happen. Sounds so delightful to be in on this sharing together. Brings out the best in people.

Thanks for sharing recipe and myth that accompanies it. We all like Dr. Pepper no matter how it is served.

black chef said:

about the drinks... well, new orleans is party central and drinks are always welcome.
I read you loud and clear. I have friends who have a historic restaurant in the Treme that was ruined, as were all their homes, and they are now all living in FEMA trailers and rebuilding their restaurant and praying there will be no "Katrinas" in New Orleans this year! (or ever again!)

Back
Top Bottom