"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 06-15-2005, 12:27 AM   #11
Master Chef

If you are sitting at the bar ask the bartender what he/she can make that is low or non alcoholic. If you're at a table, ask the waitress to ask the bartender. Not every bar will have the ingredients for everything.

Something with schnopps is going to be just a tad bit lower in alcohol than a glass of wine ... schnopps is 15% alcohol and if mixed with something will be diluted ... a glass of wine is 12%.

Any drink "virgin" is all the goodies minus the booze.

Old 06-15-2005, 08:05 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

[QUOTE=jkath]Fran, aren't you quite young still?

[QUOTE]

I'm 17, but turning 18 in november, here in england 18 is the legal age for drinking, however, if you were to go to the nightclubs/pubs you will find a huge percentage of people there were underage. I know some people might be against me drinking but, i think im being way more responsible than most young people my age- i see people who are as young as 15 and 16 who get absolutely drunk when they go up town- some of my firends do that aswell. I don't see anything wrong with me going to town to have a good time with my friends- however it does cause peer pressure to drink, and i think that my way of going about it is great- i still drink, but by drinking something non alcoholic or with a low alcoholic content, none of my friends bother me about not drinking, i still have fun and i dont get drunk.

There will always be people against it but i believe that i am taking responsibility for myself. I'm not going to stop going out with my friends. I believe that i am doing the right thing for me and until all people are completely stopped from going to bars until they are 18, i and my friends will still go. Also, i waited until i felt that i was mature enough to go up town- i went up town for the first time a month ago, where as many of my friends started going when they had just turned 16.
I don't think i am doing anything wrong, in fact i am being much more responsible than many other people of my age.
If anyone can give me a good reason why i should stop doing what i am doing, i'll think about not going anymore, but at the minute, i cannot see any faults in my method.

Old 06-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

I think you have a very mature attitude about it Fran! There is nothing wrong with drinking as long as it is done responsibly and within the law.

I know someone who didn't want to drink, but didn't want people constantly asking him why he was not drinking so at parties he would hold an empty beer can. No one would know it was empty and it looked like he was drinking. No one ever noticed he never put it to his lips.

When my wife was two weeks pregnant we had a family wedding to attend. Some of my cousins were there and when we all get together we like to party hard. Well obviously drinking was out of the question for my wife, but since she was so early on in the pregnancy we were not ready to tell anyone is was going to have a baby. Everyone would have guessed right away if they knew she was not drinking so I went to the bar for her and would get her a tonic water. She just told anyone who asked that it was a gin and tonic. No one ever knew.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:12 AM   #14
Hospitality Queen

[QUOTE=cheffrankie][QUOTE=jkath]Fran, aren't you quite young still?

Quote:

I don't see anything wrong with me going to town to have a good time with my friends- however it does cause peer pressure to drink, and i think that my way of going about it is great- i still drink, but by drinking something non alcoholic or with a low alcoholic content, none of my friends bother me about not drinking, i still have fun and i dont get drunk.
(Keep in mind, Fran that in November when you turn 18, I'll be turning 39, so here's a bit of advice from an old lady )

I'm totally in agreement with you about wanting to go out with your friends - that's one of the greatest things to do, no matter what your age! And, by drinking something non-alcoholic, you're being exceptionally responsible (!), while maintaining the fun.
As for peer pressure, I was literally the only kid at one particular high school party that wasn't drinking. (Keep in mind the legal age out here was/is 21) A friend suggested that I hold a beer bottle to "fit in", but that, to me, was showing I was drinking. I didn't, and when people questioned why I wasn't imbibing, I simply told them that I wasn't interested. It was that easy. Your real friends will always like you, no matter what.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

FIrstly 39 is not old!
I see what you are saying- my close friends all know that i don't like alcohol and they also know that i drink a lot of non alcoholic drinks when we are out and they've never judged me on that and they respect me the way i am. If i had the guts to do what you did, and just tell evryone tht i dnt like it, i would, but i dont. I am already a very outspoken person- i stick up for what i believe in- but i only do that in things that i really believe strongly in. Unfortunately, the school i go to is a school that bases everything on popularity. I am already not liked by quite a few people for different reasons mainly because i'm so outspoken. At the minute i like the way people percieve me and dont really care bout what the select few people who really hate me think. But just like a rising soufle, any tremour could make it collapse (< )and at the moment i'm at a point where im at a very fine line where my reputaton could be easily ruined by something as silly as wether i drink or not, and i don't really want my 'souffle to collapse' as it were. I'd rather pretend that i did drink than be open about it- as long as i'm true to myself and my firends, then i don't mind havig to do this. I'm sure you know yourself that being a teenager is a very complicated thing!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #16
Hospitality Queen

Oh, I'd never go back to my teenage years! I was horribly dorky. Well, actually, I guess I'm still that way, only I embrace my dorkiness

Frankie, I love that you're outspoken! You will have such a good time on this board!

And your souffle comment was wonderful.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Delicious Drink

Try ordering a 'Slow, comfortable screw up against a wall'. Not only is it exquisite in flavor, but it is fun to order.

The first time I ever went to the bar (across the border), knowing very little about mixed drinks, I asked the bartender to make something for me; she gave me that drink with a wink. It was good times.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:07 AM   #18
Master Chef

Malibou Rum and Pineapple juice is awfully good...just tell the bartender you are a lightweight, and he'll adjust the amount of liquor accordingly. You'd probably like the Tequila Sunrise, also, which is orange juice with tequila and a shot of grenadine.

I like schnapps...especially Hot ****, which tastes like redhots. I drink it by the shot, but it's also very good over ice with sprite or 7-up.
Then there's the Fuzzy Navel, which is peach schnapps and orange juice...tasty.
Another good one is the Tan Safari, which is Amaretto with a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream. You could sip on that all night.