Pepper Vodka?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Anyone hear of this? I haven't seen it. On Food Network Simple to Make program before 30 Minute Meals, she was fixing all kinds of cocktails. I heard her mention Pepper Vodka, Regular Vodka, Tomato Juice, taste of liquid from olives. Referred to it as Dirty Mary. Also put Celery Salt on plate to line glass with. I saw this before 9 this morning and made me thirsty???? Am I becoming alcoholic?

Have researched and do not find Pepper vodka.

You know, I need to find the exact episode but Alton makes a peppered vodka in one of his shows. It takes somewhere around 6 months to complete.

I'll try to remember the episode.

Oh yes, it was on his peppercorn show :) Let me give you the exact details !

Here they are:

2 tablespoons peppercorns, slightly cracked
1 (750-ml) bottle of vodka
Add the peppercorns to the vodka and allow to sit in a cool dark place for 7 days. Stir or gently shake to combine every few days. After 7 days, strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove the peppercorns.

Place in a sterilized* glass container with a lid and store in a cool dark place.

Tips on Sterilizing Jars Properly-handled sterilized equipment will keep canned foods in good condition for years. Sterilizing jars is the first step of preserving foods.

Last edited:
Got It Right

I did get the name right. I couldn't believe it was pepper vodka. Thanks for help. Have you ever tried it?

Kick

GB, you sure know the vodkas. I always think of you w/Grey Goose. It is so mild. Do they make a pepper one too? What made you try it? Just for Bloody Marys? They must be healthy if they have tomato juice w/it? At least I like to think that way. Happy New Year to you.

What else do you like w/vodka? I mean Grey Goose Vodka?

Yes I only use the pepper vodka for bloody marys.

For Grey Goose, I just drink that straight. It is too good to mix with anything else IMO.

GB, Katie gave me some Grey Goose for Christmas. Do you recommend it for a martini? How do you prefer it? Chilled? On the rocks? Help me here. I've had plenty of rotgut in my time. I need help handling the good stuff.

Thanks,
Buck

Yes it is great in a martini. I do not chill the vodka itself though. I was taught that part of certain drinks (a martini being one of them) is a certain amount of melted ice mixing with the alcohol when you put it all in the shaker and mix it up. If the vodka is chilled then the ice does not melt into the drink.

I also like Grey Goose on the rocks. I fill a glass quite full with rocks and then pour the room temp vodka over top.

Be careful though cause it goes down VERY easily. Enjoy it Buck!

Remember though stirred not shaken. Shaking can create a cloudy martini.

And to many cloudy martinis can cause cloudy vision.

Happy New Year,

JDP

I much prefer mine shaken, and shaken vigorously (at least 30 shakes, but more is better). I have never notices it being cloudy. Well maybe right after it is poured, but a few seconds later it clears up, unlike my vision :LOL:

JDP said:
Remember though stirred not shaken. Shaking can create a cloudy martini.

JDP

Off thread subject, but vodka oriented. Sorry, JDP, Buck and I had Grey Goose martinis last night before dinner that were shaken. 30 times no less. They were definitely not cloudy nor was our vision.:ROFLMAO: Just a fantastic, sm-o-o-th martini. About the best we've ever had. Will do it again. Go Grey Goose!!! Thanks, GB.

I like my martinis with gin and dirty.

But, on topic (sort of), I think the flavored vodka thing is sort of out of control. I saw at least 20 flavors at the store the other day.

I like flavoured vodkas (I often make them my self).
I have a bottle if "Inferno" pepper pot vodka in my freezer right now. It is a bottle that came with a long red pepper in the bottle - the longer I have it the darker (and hotter) the vodka gets.
I love using it for Ceasers and drinking it very cold straight is good too. :shock: Not for the faint of heart!

CharlieD said:
Also, if you can find, there is a whole bunch of Russian pepper vodkas.

I bet these are good, Charlie. Not a big vodka drinker but I do like a shot of the peppery stuff now and then.

Does Stoli make one, or should I keep searching?

Back
Top Bottom