Picked up a new bottle of Rum.. delicious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
I was in Indianapolis and stopped by my favorite liquor store, Kahns.

They have liquor behind the counter to try. While I am really a bourbon man, I have been enjoying good quality rum's. They had one I had not seen.

Zaya Gran Reserva 12 year old imported from Trinidad.

This rum needs nothing, just place in a glass and enjoy as you would a fine cognac. It is truly spectacular. It deep golden appearance carries a rich body, exquisite nose and long soft finish. I highly recommend it.

Zaya is really nice rum. Another from Trinidad that you may enjoy is Angostura 1919. Great for drinking neat or with an ice cube or two.

I was in Indianapolis and stopped by my favorite liquor store, Kahns.

They have liquor behind the counter to try. While I am really a bourbon man, I have been enjoying good quality rum's. They had one I had not seen.

Zaya Gran Reserva 12 year old imported from Trinidad.

This rum needs nothing, just place in a glass and enjoy as you would a fine cognac. It is truly spectacular. It deep golden appearance carries a rich body, exquisite nose and long soft finish. I highly recommend it.
How does it compare to Pusser's:rolleyes:?

I like the Pyrat XO, but the Pyrat Pistol is just too flowery for me. If you like smooth, sweet rums, Ron Zacapa 23 may also be of interest. It's widely available and should run about $50 a liter.

As far as I am concerned nothing beats Pussers rum. The UK navy sailed with Pussers rum for 2 centuries, can't be bad if millions of sailor's drank it every day

I like the Pyrat XO, but the Pyrat Pistol is just too flowery for me. If you like smooth, sweet rums, Ron Zacapa 23 may also be of interest. It's widely available and should run about $50 a liter.

Well my favorite is Brinley Gold Coffee Rum, but it's not available very many places. Some states you can order it from suppliers. Unfortunately I have to get it through my brother in Wisconsin. It's a very sweet rum, but fantastically smooth and buttery.

As far as I am concerned nothing beats Pussers rum. The UK navy sailed with Pussers rum for 2 centuries, can't be bad if millions of sailor's drank it every day

Well, stop and think. How well do bureaucrats deal with change...
Pussers is OK, but it is way down the list for me for rum.

I'm not criticizing it at all, since I've never had it, but I doubt those sailors had a choice of which rum to drink ;) And I doubt they would have turned down *any* rum :ROFLMAO:

I originally asked the Emroe customer candidate about his opinion of Pusser's to get an indication of whether we might have similar preferences. Since I'm not fond of Pusser's, it makes the Zaya sound more promising.

I'm slightly biased here, but if you enjoy a good 'sipping' rum try Doorlys XO, Mount Gay Extra Old, or St. Nicholas Abbey fine rum, all from Barbados. These are all aged rums, not meant to be mixed, more to be drank neat or on the rocks.

Bit of useless info: Barbados is actually generally regarded as the birth place of rum. George Washington even insisted on a barrel of Barbados rum to be imported for his inauguration.

I still don't have the post count required to post links , but take a look at Wiki's page about rum, it's quite an interesting read.

I have a buddy who's wife is from Venezuela. When they would go visit her family, he would always bring back a dozen or so bottles of rum and hand them out. I forget what the name was, but it was delicious, dark, sweet, smooth. It made Bacardi taste like formaldehyde, which it basically does anyway!

TropicCh3f, I had St. Nicholas Abbey for the first time in October and loved it. The only problem with this rum is availability. As far as I know, you can only buy it from the distillery in Barbados. It's worth the trip, though!!!

RUM1, you're absolutely right. Each bottle is serial numbered and only available locally. Didn't even think about that.

Appleton estate (Jamaican) also does a 21 year old rum that is good, but again, only a limited number per year and only available (I think) locally.

A friend introduced me to Pyrat rum earlier this year. It's a fine sipping rum, too :) Excellent.
I just picked up a bottle of this tonight. I got the Pyrat XO Reserve. I did not know Pyrat is made by the makers of Patron.

This is delicious rum. I am drinking it neat and it is very smooth and tasty.

Back
Top Bottom