Port Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does anyone know if wine causes you to gain weight? Don't even know why I got on the scale but it said I have gained weight. I am trying to determine if it is the wine. I did drink more than usual because of feeling worn from too much planning. Plus the weather is cold and dreary. I did hear some bird today for first time. Hope that is sign that the weather will be changing. I always heard wine was good for the heart, but if it puts weight on you, then it isn't so good. Thanks

Wine, especially red, in moderation is good for the heart.

Alcohol and sugar are good for gaining weight. Port has both.

Port is made by stopping fermenting grapes/juice by adding brandy to it (fortifying). As a result, it has that nice sweet finish from the unfermented sugars in the wine. It usually also has more of a kick (usually about 18% abv instead of the normal 12-14% abv of average wine) because of the brandy.

John

ronjohn55 thanks for the response. It sure does have a kick. But it does kick me in the right direction. Surely gives me more help in preparing the meals. So if I want to drink I can't eat, right?

Saying it is good for my heart is not telling the truth. The key word you used and I have heard so often is 'moderation'. Have to stop after l drink. But it did warm me up and made me not feel uncomfortable.

I thank you for your knowledge and think moderation when I do enjoy one.

Take care

Ideally you shouldn't drink more than 300ml of red wine a day. Both for the calories and the alcohol content.

Red wine is generally recommended over white, has more of the good properties.

Speaking of drinking (wine/beer etc.), I just saw a report on the news last night talking about how one drink a day can also help memory functions. Then they cautioned that moderation was key, and too many drinks could have the opposite effect.

Really? Drinking too much every night can cause you to forget things?? (Like how you ended up where you are?) Gee, wonder how they figured that one out??? ;)

John

I drank an entire bottle of port last night. Woweeeeeeeeee :!: Fun :!: Porto"s from Portugal are excellent ports and my favorite wines.

I understand that there is a strange breed of human beings that 'drink in moderation.' I think they must be like the Loch Ness Monster or something 'cuz I've never seen one! :LOL:

Bangbang said:
I drank an entire bottle of port last night. Woweeeeeeeeee :!: Fun :!: Porto"s from Portugal are excellent ports and my favorite wines.

How did you find that? Really interesting and from the sound of it not too bad. Thank you. Glad you like what I drink, Port. What is the name of your Port? I drink Taylors right off the shelf. Seems to be the purest. Who knows? Thanks again

You know you do sound like in good spirits everytime I read your posts. Good for you!!!

I walked in the house from the wind and cold and drank some port right away. Does that sound like I am alcoholic? Sure does make one relaxed and feels oh so good. Forget about my worries for a while. Doesn't give me a headache like some other drinks.

Well, I am stopping the port wine. I just found out how much I weighed from the doctor. The wine is the only thing different and that is going to stop. I can't believe that it put that much weight on me. I drank it at supper time and then when I was cold. WRONG!!!!

Back
Top Bottom