Problem freezing leftover wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RajunCajun

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I like the suggestion of freezing leftover wine for use in sauces, etc. I bought some ice cube trays, poured in the wine, and put it in the freezer.

Problem: the wine won't completely freeze. The cubes are mostly frozen, but they are still a bit slushy - if I push hard enough, I can push my finger into the middle of a cube. I assume this is due to the alcohol content.

The freezer is in working order - it freezes everything else and the thermometer registers 0 degrees F.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how to make the cubes solid?

Thanks!
Paul

Not my area of expertise but I would imagine that you could boil off the alcohol in a short amount of time and then let the wine cool before putting the filled ice cube trays in the freezer. I'm sure others will have more informed solutions. Welcome to DC, RajunCajun!

Edit: A more informed person beat me to it!

RajunCajun said:
Hi,

I like the suggestion of freezing leftover wine for use in sauces, etc. I bought some ice cube trays, poured in the wine, and put it in the freezer.

Problem: the wine won't completely freeze. The cubes are mostly frozen, but they are still a bit slushy - if I push hard enough, I can push my finger into the middle of a cube. I assume this is due to the alcohol content.

The freezer is in working order - it freezes everything else and the thermometer registers 0 degrees F.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how to make the cubes solid?

Thanks!
Paul

Hi Paul,

Wecome to DC!

Alix and Goodweed are right, it's not your freezer, it's the alcohol in the wine.

The alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, so it doesn't freeze in the freezer under normal conditions. Eisbock beir is a beer made by "freeze distilling" alcohol off and fortifying the remaining beer with it.

If you only want the wine for flavor in cooking - you can put it into a pitcher, and once it mostly freezes, pour off the liquid. At ths point it's mostly alcohol, and the water and flovor compounds will remain behind in the ice.

John

Yep, mine is slushy in the freezer. That's ok (assuming all the other food in there is frozen)

But you often add wine to recipes specifically for the alcohol, as much as for the flavor .... so why get rid of it?

Alcohol releases flavor components in food that water or oil can't. Adding it creates a chemical process that adds great depth of flavor both fromthe wine itself and from the added flavor componenets released fromthe other foods (eg, tomato).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom