"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Everymom

Raspberry Mojito

Ok you need to scroll to the bottom of this article. Boy does that sound yummy!

Old 08-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Head Chef

That does look good! On our recent trip back west, I had a version that used basil and fresh (small) grapes. It was wonderful!
We had the original version in Texas last year while visiting my sister and have spent the summer trying to get it right here at home. I think we're close but not quite there. To help me muddle in our large pitcher, my dear honey bought me an ax handle! It works great and is sturdy enough to get the mint nice and crushed.

Thanks for the link!

Old 08-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sold That does look great.
Thanks Alix.

kadesma
Old 08-22-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Executive Chef

It's official...after this past weekend, I'm the only one permitted to make the mojitos around here. Normally, I do the cooking and Lou makes the drinks and readies the wine. He was never satisfied with his own attempts at mojito making and pressed me to give it a shot. (three, actually)

You simply have to use a collins glass, first. No other size will do.

Into the bottom of the glass I placed 4 mint leaves, 2T sugar and half a lime, cut into two wedges. I splashed club soda onto this, just a splash....and then muddled for about a minute. To this I added 3oz light rum. Then went in the ice cubes (shaved works best, but I didn't have any), then you top it off with club soda. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves and mojito sugar, if you have it. (I do!) They were as good as any we've had out and I'll have to make them for the rest of our lives.

I had raspberrry mojitos at Jazz Standard in NYC sometime last summer. They were fantastic. I just recently saw a recipe for a mojito made with spiced rum..

ps....that recipe I gave makes one drink. It's a tall one but it's still one, nevertheless.
pps...we tried making the drink with simple syrup, but it seems so much better using sugar.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
... Into the bottom of the glass I placed 4 mint leaves, 2T sugar and half a lime, cut into two wedges. I splashed club soda onto this, just a splash....and then muddled for about a minute. To this I added 3oz light rum. Then went in the ice cubes (shaved works best, but I didn't have any), then you top it off with club soda. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves and mojito sugar, if you have it. (I do!)
This is basically what we guessed the quantities to be - thank you for affirming my guess verablue! The only thing I did/do differently is that I add the ice (wedge cubes) to the sugar and mint in the bottom after I muddle for a minute. I then continued smashing and it seems the ice helped the mint break down a little better. Also, I don't add the club soda, rather, I let our guests add their own since some liked more and some liked none.

Quote:
ps....that recipe I gave makes one drink. It's a tall one but it's still one, nevertheless.
Somewhere along the line, my honey inherited this big, heavy margarita pitcher which is tough enough to withstand my ax handle. By quadrupling our guessed ingredients, it worked to make a pitcher of it. However ... I wouldn't suggested the larger quantity unless you were going to drink it right away other wise the ice will melt too much (we did, so no problem ).

Quote:
pps...we tried making the drink with simple syrup, but it seems so much better using sugar.
I agree completely! Now why didn't mine turn out as lovely as yours did?
Hmmmm ... at least it's not a bad thing to have to experiment on!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Executive Chef

JM, it helps if you start making out while you're still drinking.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
Head Chef

Very true ... very true! I'll have to keep that in mind next weekend !
Old 10-11-2006, 02:43 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

tried it its pretty good
Old 10-21-2006, 11:23 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Definitely going to have to make some of them up and see how they taste. Sounds great.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
To help me muddle in our large pitcher, my dear honey bought me an ax handle!
Now that's just TRUE LOVE! lol!!!!

I love this thread Alix!!! There's nothing like a good mojito - and I first had one using basil - it was EXTREMELY good!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote