Raspberry Mojito

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That does look good! On our recent trip back west, I had a version that used basil and fresh (small) grapes. It was wonderful!
We had the original version in Texas last year while visiting my sister and have spent the summer trying to get it right here at home. I think we're close but not quite there. To help me muddle in our large pitcher, my dear honey bought me an ax handle! It works great and is sturdy enough to get the mint nice and crushed.

Thanks for the link!

It's official...after this past weekend, I'm the only one permitted to make the mojitos around here. Normally, I do the cooking and Lou makes the drinks and readies the wine. He was never satisfied with his own attempts at mojito making and pressed me to give it a shot. (three, actually:angel:)

You simply have to use a collins glass, first. No other size will do.

Into the bottom of the glass I placed 4 mint leaves, 2T sugar and half a lime, cut into two wedges. I splashed club soda onto this, just a splash....and then muddled for about a minute. To this I added 3oz light rum. Then went in the ice cubes (shaved works best, but I didn't have any), then you top it off with club soda. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves and mojito sugar, if you have it. (I do!) They were as good as any we've had out and I'll have to make them for the rest of our lives.

I had raspberrry mojitos at Jazz Standard in NYC sometime last summer. They were fantastic. I just recently saw a recipe for a mojito made with spiced rum..

ps....that recipe I gave makes one drink. It's a tall one but it's still one, nevertheless.
pps...we tried making the drink with simple syrup, but it seems so much better using sugar.

Last edited:
VeraBlue said:
... Into the bottom of the glass I placed 4 mint leaves, 2T sugar and half a lime, cut into two wedges. I splashed club soda onto this, just a splash....and then muddled for about a minute. To this I added 3oz light rum. Then went in the ice cubes (shaved works best, but I didn't have any), then you top it off with club soda. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves and mojito sugar, if you have it. (I do!)
This is basically what we guessed the quantities to be - thank you for affirming my guess verablue! The only thing I did/do differently is that I add the ice (wedge cubes) to the sugar and mint in the bottom after I muddle for a minute. I then continued smashing and it seems the ice helped the mint break down a little better. Also, I don't add the club soda, rather, I let our guests add their own since some liked more and some liked none.

VeraBlue said:
ps....that recipe I gave makes one drink. It's a tall one but it's still one, nevertheless.
Somewhere along the line, my honey inherited this big, heavy margarita pitcher which is tough enough to withstand my ax handle. By quadrupling our guessed ingredients, it worked to make a pitcher of it. However ... I wouldn't suggested the larger quantity unless you were going to drink it right away other wise the ice will melt too much (we did, so no problem :rolleyes: ).

VeraBlue said:
pps...we tried making the drink with simple syrup, but it seems so much better using sugar.
I agree completely! Now why didn't mine turn out as lovely as yours did?:huh:
Hmmmm ... at least it's not a bad thing to have to experiment on!

Definitely going to have to make some of them up and see how they taste. Sounds great.

JMediger said:
To help me muddle in our large pitcher, my dear honey bought me an ax handle!

Now that's just TRUE LOVE! lol!!!!

I love this thread Alix!!! There's nothing like a good mojito - and I first had one using basil - it was EXTREMELY good!

jmediger, are you married to sheriff buford pusser? :) just curious.

also, does everyone do that little heine shakin' dance as they make their mojitos? i find that helps. (when i do it, it keeps people away so i can concentrate on making the drink)

I had Raspberry Mojito's a few months back at a bar here in Bristol. They were dang tasty, but I still love the classic Mojito!

buckytom said:
jmediger, are you married to sheriff buford pusser? :) just curious.

No :LOL: ... I had actually told him to look for a fish bat but they didn't have any so he bought me the handle instead. Speaking of which ... we haven't made any yet this summer. No mint but tons of basil in the garden ... going to go pick me some right now.

SizzlininIN said:
...Mojito sugar....is this what its called on the packaging?

You can buy Mojito sugar (I've seen it in gourmet shops and TJ Maxx - of all the places) and it will be labeled "Mojito Sugar". However, plain old white sugar works too. Just be sure to mix thoroughly. I think I recall someone saying they use simple syrup instead of sugar to avoid any grit. I actually like the real sugar because I think, IMHO, it helps break down the lime and mint as I'm muddling. I think I get a better flavor. Just my take on it though ... :)

I am still unclear as to what Majito Sugar is. Can someone give me a good definition. Wikapedia fell flat, as well as Google, etc.

Back
Top Bottom