"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 05-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #11
Head Chef

a real margarita is only good tequila .. ice .. lime ...

Old 05-22-2007, 09:46 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q"
a real margarita is only good tequila .. ice .. lime ...
Sounds great! I'll take two!

Old 05-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
Head Chef

As an undergrad, I was taught a one-one-one mix by one of my marketing professors. He's the same person who introduced me to the black and tan.

Over time, I've strayed a bit from the 1-1-1 mix though, not sure what I'm at now though, I mix them to taste...

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I dont like Tequila for the same reason (hangovers) I just bought a bottle last week and asked the guy at the store which one to buy that was reasonably priced and a cleaner liquor he recommended Sauza Tequila Blanco(Elaborado con Agave Azul) What is your opinions on this one?
By the way he said Jose Cuervo Gold is over rated and crap.Any more opinions?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
Master Chef

Don't automatically go by what the "guy at the store" says. Regardless of price (& good tequilas can range from $20 to $60+ a bottle), you want to look for 100% Agave . Period.

I'm not familiar with the brand you bought, but unless somewhere on the bottle (even if it's in fine print) it says "100% Agave", prepare yourself for another headache.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I forgot to say I also bought a container of Sauza Margerita mix you just add Tequila mix and freeze over night I will probably add some Triple Sec also.
Again any opinions on this method of making frozen Margeritas?I just dont make Margeritas on a regular basis maybe once a year.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Breezy this guy owns the store and so far he has not lead me wrong on wines or other liquors but there is always a first time.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #18
Head Chef

Sauza is a good brand. Usually 100% Agave.

The "Blanco" refers to the color - clear. It's not aged in the barrels to give it the golden color. It will likely have a bit different flavor/mouthfeel as a result, but it's far from a bad choice. From my experience with it, it makes some darn fine margaritas.

As for Cuervo... Well, it's the king of marketing. Sort of the Budweiser/Bud Light of tequila. It's the brand everyone knows, so it's what sells. The quality, or lack thereof, is a secondary feature.

With your mix, I'd make a small tester before commiting to the tripel sec. The mix likely already has something in it to mimic the flavor (I'm guessing it's alcohol free). However, if you add some and it tastes good, then by all means..

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Thanks RonJohn I will taste the mix first it is liguid and comes in a plastic container probably nothing more than sweet n sour mix.It's an easy and no fuss way Im sure I paid way too much for the mix rather than making my own.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #20
Master Chef

What you bought is good stuff but not much in the taste category. It's 100% agave and like RJ says, clear and unaged. Good if you don't want much of a tequila taste in the drink.

Sauza is a well-known tequila maker who makes a good product.

I prefer an aged tequila that has some taste to it -- Sauza's "Hornitos" is often what I buy. It's an aged 100% agave tequila.

Cuervo Gold is not 100% agave and has additives to give it flavor and color. It's the kind of tequlia a lot of people drink and then wonder why they feel like crap the next day.

Stick to 100% agave products.