Real Mexican Margaritas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gogirl68

Assistant Cook
Okay, so I love margaritas, but don't usually drink them due to headaches or hangovers. When my husband and I were in Puerto Vallarta we were drinking them all day long though:ohmy: Neither of us were hung over or felt bad, so I was trying to figure out the difference because yes I did taste the tequila.

I think because they are made with no sugar and that is why we did not get that "sugar" hangover.

Does anyone have a recipe that is a more authentic margarita....they were sooooooo yummy!!!!

Thanks for any input.

There's a very simple answer to your problem - one that's been outlined in several newspaper & magazine articles in the past several years. It's not your recipe - it's your TEQUILA!!!

Never buy a tequila that does not state somewhere on the label that it's 100% Agave or 100% Blue Agave. Tequilas without this designation on the label can legally be adulterated with Lord knows what, & it's those additives, according to The New York Times, The Washington Post, & several of my Mexican cookbooks that cause those awful post-Margarita headaches.

My husband & I had the same problem as you did - even after having just one drink apiece, so we knew it wasn't overindulgence. After switching to 100% Agave tequilas, it never happened again, so I can only say that I fully believe there's something to it.

Sugar? No added sugar in a margarita.

Margaritas are made with tequila, orange liqueur (this has sugar) and lime juice. With ice, a lime wedge and salt.

Usually the proportion is 3/2/1.

And I totally agree that you should always use good tequila, though really good tequila is wasted on a margarita IMO (it's a sipping liquor).

Tequila, by definition, comes from the agave plant. It has to be at least 51% agave but is allowed to be 49% other stuff, usually corn or sugar-based liquor.

Gold tequila labeled "oro" can have all kinds of artificial colors and flavors and crap added, in addition to the non-agave liquors.

My usual go-to is "reposado" which is also almost always 100% agave.

1800-reposado_4485_r2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that the very pricey "sipping" tequilas are wasted with mixed drinks.

There are two brands I purchase that are both 100% agave & both reasonably priced ($20 or so). I don't have the names down pat, but one is, I believe, "Sauzas Hornitas" (or close to that), & the other has the silouehette of a crow on the label band at the top of the bottle, & the labels are in gold, black, & white. I believe it's put out by Jose Cuervo, but at their higher end.

Both of the above make terrific Margaritas & are also smooth enough for less sugary drinks as well. And best of all - NO HEADACHES - lol!!!

Sauza Hornitos is my absolute favorite tequila for margaritas.

It is also a great tequila for shots.

It's comparable in quality to patron, for alot less.

I've never heard of the 3-2-1 tequila-triple sec-lime mixture. The margaritas i have made have always been more in the neighborhood of 5-5-3 Lime-Tequila- Triple Sec.

The 3-2-1 sounds like it makes for a strong drink.

As an undergrad, I was taught a one-one-one mix by one of my marketing professors. He's the same person who introduced me to the black and tan.

Over time, I've strayed a bit from the 1-1-1 mix though, not sure what I'm at now though, I mix them to taste... ;)

John

Last edited:
:) I dont like Tequila for the same reason (hangovers) I just bought a bottle last week and asked the guy at the store which one to buy that was reasonably priced and a cleaner liquor he recommended Sauza Tequila Blanco(Elaborado con Agave Azul) What is your opinions on this one?
By the way he said Jose Cuervo Gold is over rated and crap.Any more opinions?

Don't automatically go by what the "guy at the store" says. Regardless of price (& good tequilas can range from $20 to $60+ a bottle), you want to look for 100% Agave . Period.

I'm not familiar with the brand you bought, but unless somewhere on the bottle (even if it's in fine print) it says "100% Agave", prepare yourself for another headache.

:) I forgot to say I also bought a container of Sauza Margerita mix you just add Tequila mix and freeze over night I will probably add some Triple Sec also.
Again any opinions on this method of making frozen Margeritas?I just dont make Margeritas on a regular basis maybe once a year.

:) Breezy this guy owns the store and so far he has not lead me wrong on wines or other liquors but there is always a first time.

Sauza is a good brand. Usually 100% Agave.

The "Blanco" refers to the color - clear. It's not aged in the barrels to give it the golden color. It will likely have a bit different flavor/mouthfeel as a result, but it's far from a bad choice. From my experience with it, it makes some darn fine margaritas.

As for Cuervo... Well, it's the king of marketing. Sort of the Budweiser/Bud Light of tequila. It's the brand everyone knows, so it's what sells. The quality, or lack thereof, is a secondary feature.

With your mix, I'd make a small tester before commiting to the tripel sec. The mix likely already has something in it to mimic the flavor (I'm guessing it's alcohol free). However, if you add some and it tastes good, then by all means.. :mrgreen:

John

:) Thanks RonJohn I will taste the mix first it is liguid and comes in a plastic container probably nothing more than sweet n sour mix.It's an easy and no fuss way Im sure I paid way too much for the mix rather than making my own.

What you bought is good stuff but not much in the taste category. It's 100% agave and like RJ says, clear and unaged. Good if you don't want much of a tequila taste in the drink.

Sauza is a well-known tequila maker who makes a good product.

I prefer an aged tequila that has some taste to it -- Sauza's "Hornitos" is often what I buy. It's an aged 100% agave tequila.

Cuervo Gold is not 100% agave and has additives to give it flavor and color. It's the kind of tequlia a lot of people drink and then wonder why they feel like crap the next day.

Stick to 100% agave products.

Back
Top Bottom