"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks
View Poll Results: Red or white wine?
white wine 17 34.69%
red wine 32 65.31%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Red or White Wine?

If you have to just pick one wine to drink. Would you go for a red or a white wine?

For me, I would go for the red wine!

Old 11-07-2004, 02:06 PM   #2

Re: Red or white?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Storm
If you have to just pick one wine to drink. Would you go for a red or a white wine?

For me, I would go for the red wine!
I like both white and red.. but I think alot of it depends on what you're eating too. If I was having a nice juicy steak, I would say lambrusco..if I was having roast chicken, I would go with a nice glass of bianco..I like to cook with chablis, it's a drier wine. If I was having seafood.. I'd choose a rose of some sort.. or white zinfandel or chardonnay. Now if I was lounging around with someone on a romantic evening, it would have to be a glass of red wine.

Old 11-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I tend not go with the "wine rules" for food. Like it's gotta be red wine with red meat and white with chicken and so on. I just drink what tastes good to me. However, I am probably just odd lol :)

But yes, always red for a romantic encounter! :)
Old 11-07-2004, 02:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Storm
I tend not go with the "wine rules" for food. Like it's gotta be red wine with red meat and white with chicken and so on. I just drink what tastes good to me. However, I am probably just odd lol :)

But yes, always red for a romantic encounter! :)
Nah, you're not odd.. you're just human.. do whatcha like and makes ya feel good!
Old 11-07-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I would choose to drink red wine if my life depended on it. Red wines have much more character, I think. I usually have a glass of red wine a day, but sometimes find myself with an empty bottle.
I like to run and go to the gym so I try not to get drunk too much.
Plus drinking other types of hard alcohol or beer isn't good for the heart, but I think red wine is. (((my philosophy)))
I also drink white wine but I am usually in the mood for red.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'm just starting to broaden my wine horizon :D . I must confess so far I prefer the red wines better. Ask me again in 6 months as that may have changed.

I did find that my first experience with white I ate with seafood at a resturant and after that first few sips I really enjoyed it. I ended up purchasing a bottle right afterwards. I was sitting home one night and decided to have a glass of this wine and I found its not a wine that I can just sit back and drink a glass of. I realized the food complimented the wine. So that bottle is now reserved for when I prepare seafood dishes.

But I'm just testing the waters, rather wines, now so that could change.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:51 PM   #7
Head Chef

Color me red and make it dry! Although I enjoy the chards on the dry side, too!
Old 11-07-2004, 08:51 PM   #8

A well "oaked" chardonnay is nice, but have a prejudice for the German Moselle's, but I'll take the Auslese and Spatlese variants, in spite of the cost! A bit sweeter...and an experience to enjoy...

For "fun", say at the cottage, with a gang accumulated for a "happy hour" as we wait for the BBQ to do its thing, a chilled white Zinfandel...

But it would be sad to lose the "reds"...Italian food without?

No "Port's" to finish off formal dinners?

No more Merlot's or Shiraz? Italy will go into meltdown, as will Wayne T in Australia!

Lifter
Old 11-08-2004, 02:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
A well "oaked" chardonnay is nice, but have a prejudice for the German Moselle's, but I'll take the Auslese and Spatlese variants, in spite of the cost! A bit sweeter...and an experience to enjoy...

For "fun", say at the cottage, with a gang accumulated for a "happy hour" as we wait for the BBQ to do its thing, a chilled white Zinfandel...

But it would be sad to lose the "reds"...Italian food without?

No "Port's" to finish off formal dinners?

No more Merlot's or Shiraz? Italy will go into meltdown, as will Wayne T in Australia!

Lifter
ty lifter.. I was trying to think of the name of that wine, which I also like... Merlot...........man.. my signature more than fits the bill.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:42 AM   #10
Master Chef

When I can drink wine, I prefer white Zinfandel. But I also like red wine. I went to a Basque restaurant in Reno, NV a while back and they had bottles of red wine on the table. It went so good with our dinner.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote