"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
Cook

Question Red wine and Cardiac health

Being that I now have cardiac issues I have been researching (I think I will be forever researching actually). I love wine and recently found that there are a lot of people who are saying that wine, specifically red wine is very benificail for your heart. 1 drink for women and 2 for men (4 to 8 oz) a day. Well like everything there seems to be great debate in this, but for certain if you give your search engine a run for it's money you will find that the majority say that wine in moderation is good for your cardiovascular health.

Like I previously said though, nobody can ever bloody well agree on anything vaughly important, so it seem very confusing to me.

I was wondering what you thought?

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I strongly recommend a glass of red a day. Think of all the stress-lowering benefits (decreased stress also good for your heart.)

If you feel guilty about it, eat a ball of red (an apple, lotsa fiber) immediately afterwards.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Executive Chef

It certainly hasn't done mainland Europeans much harm.... the Mediterranean diet is still considered to be beneficial.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I have been drinking red wine for years and recently my cardiologist told me it was good to drink a glass or two daily.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:02 AM   #5
Sous Chef

A friend had a heart bypass years back. He never drank any alcohol before, well except church wine as he is a priest, but his cardiologist recommended 1 to 2 glasses of red wine a day.The antioxidants in red wine have been shown to provide certain health benefits. They act like warriors, preventing the oxidation process.They offer protection against heart disease. http://www.red-wine-and-health.com/
Old 12-05-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Wine has been tentatively found to help with heart problems. The same has been found for people worried about stroke. Eating a serving of fish every two weeks or so seems to help immensely. Even if it doesn't, it certainly doesn't hurt anything to consume a glass of wine with an entree of fish.