"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 10-30-2005, 01:25 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Hi billmac,

First of all, you state that you do use "cooking wines". I wish you would clarify that for us. If you mean the bottles in the grocery store that specifically state on the label "cooking wine", then I would say immediately toss those to the curb! The typical "cooking" wine is loaded with preservatives and salt and quite literally they are not "fit to drink!"

IF YOU CANNOT DRINK IT FROM THE BOTTLE, THEN IT IS NOT FIT TO COOK WITH!

Sorry for screaming, but this is so important for people to know! I am passionate about cooking and wine and I tend to get on a soapbox over my fury at the food industry's adulteration of our food supply!

I have studied about wine for years and have to say that you can never learn enough! This is one area that is truly, each to his own! There is such a variety of quality, affordable wine on the market these days that it is hard to narrow the choices.

However, there are some commonalities that most producers try to adhere to when marketing a particular variety or "style." You must decide if you are in the market for light and fruity with some residual sugar, medium body with a slight tannin (the "bite" in young reds,) or deep and concentrated flavors with the very characterisitic dry, almost astringent after-effect (note-I never say "after-taste, because taste is such a subjective term!).

Your best bet is to try experimenting with a few wines and find out if there are any tasting clubs in your area. I wish you many "good tastes" in your adventure!

As far as the cholesterol issue, there are many NATURAL ways to reduce LDL cholesterol, while increasing HDL! I am a nutritional advisor and herbalist, so if you are interested in more info then feel free to send me a private email. I think a detailed response here would be very long winded and very off-topicWarm regards,

Lori Schuster

Old 10-31-2005, 11:33 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Just as an update. I bought an inexpensive bottle of hearty burgundy. The lady that sold it said it was their most popular drinking wine which was also used for cooking.

Well, honestly, it tastes vile. I just don't know if it IS vile, or that my tastebuds will render that verdict for all wine. I'll keep you informed.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Lori,

I sent you a private message, concerning your advice offer.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #14
Executive Chef

well if you use cooking wines all the time, my recommendation is to get a bottle of dry vermouth for your white cooking wine (it is a fortifired and herbed wine and is wonderful for cooking) and a pinot or merlot or light burgundy for the red (which can also serve for your occasional sip. You may even want to try an inexpensive box wine...it may serve your needs both for cooking and the occasional sip very well, and it keeps well as the air doesn't get to it.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

White Cooking Wine..

Vermouth.. that's something I never thought of using. Will have to try that. I use Burgundy or Merlot for a red wine, as apparently most people do. Of course I keep a bottle of Marsala around too.

"If it's stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid."
DugDbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #16
Executive Chef

just about red wine in general...often you will hear about letting the wine breathe...sometimes red wine needs to get oxygen in it to taste smooth ... so let it sit a bit...you may enjoy the taste a bit more.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #17
Senior Cook

My wife is definitely not a red wine drinker. When the menu dictates, she prefers a Pino Noir. ANother red wine she actually buys for herself is Shiraz. Both are easy on the pallet and the Shiraz can be easy on the wallet as well. The Shiraz she buys is only like $6.00 at the local grocery store. The brand is Yellow Tail and it is a true Aussie Shiraz.