Red wine for teetotallers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billmac

Assistant Cook
I need a recommendation on a good red wine for someone who doesn't drink.

My HDL levels are low, so I'm considering taking a little red wine in the evening for health reasons. I've never been fond of alcoholic beverages, but I use cooking wine all the time, so something that would serve as cooking and beverage wine would be good.

Something inexpensive would also be a bonus.

Thanks

Hi billmac, you say you use cooking wines all the time.

You might wish to take a wee taste of one or two at the end of the day and find out what you like.

Agree with ironchef, pinot noirs are lovely. Merlots are also tasty.

The only way to learn about wine is to taste the stuff.

And I am certainly no expert.

But if you do not like wines, there are other ways to get down your HDL.

But at the end of the day, a nice glass of red wine is certainly comforting, in my humble opinion.

Hmmm. I was thinking of port, then googled the phrase "those who don't like wine" and came up with an article you may be interested in, billmac. My phrase appears in the third paragraph.

That tawny port sounds so good that I'm going to get some for myself, for a before-bed winter nightcap!

http://www.wineintro.com/reviews/2001/port2.html

Lee

For me billmac, merlot is a heavy red wine. I would suggest beaujolis (sp?),which is a light red wine, not heavy at all like some red wines. Barten and Ghouster(sp?) make a really nice beaujolis. It's light, not too sweet or heavy.

QSis said:
Hmmm. I was thinking of port, then googled the phrase "those who don't like wine" and came up with an article you may be interested in, billmac. My phrase appears in the third paragraph.

That tawny port sounds so good that I'm going to get some for myself, for a before-bed winter nightcap!

http://www.wineintro.com/reviews/2001/port2.html

Lee

The thing though with port is that it's super sweet when compared to red wines. Also, they have a higher alcohol content than wine so it would not be the best choice for someone just starting off.

I love Port, but I have to agree with IC. Also, Port is also more expensive and less versatile to cook with. So if billmac doesn't like it, then it'll have to sit on the shelf or be given away. Or whatever.

If you bollmac does not like the red wine, they can always cook with it (spaghetti sauce, beef bourgoinon (sp), etc). Wine can be frozen for future use.

Oh ****.. another wine faceoff. But very well done. There will never be a final answer on the choice of wine... NEVER. It is one of lifes great mysteries. BUT.. you can find a happy partner here

I am not a big expert in the field. But have you tried a Rosato?
I find it light, not too expensive, fresh as a white wine and still fruit flavoured. :)

Hi billmac,

First of all, you state that you do use "cooking wines". I wish you would clarify that for us. If you mean the bottles in the grocery store that specifically state on the label "cooking wine", then I would say immediately toss those to the curb! The typical "cooking" wine is loaded with preservatives and salt and quite literally they are not "fit to drink!"

IF YOU CANNOT DRINK IT FROM THE BOTTLE, THEN IT IS NOT FIT TO COOK WITH!

Sorry for screaming, but this is so important for people to know! I am passionate about cooking and wine and I tend to get on a soapbox over my fury at the food industry's adulteration of our food supply!

I have studied about wine for years and have to say that you can never learn enough! This is one area that is truly, each to his own! There is such a variety of quality, affordable wine on the market these days that it is hard to narrow the choices.

However, there are some commonalities that most producers try to adhere to when marketing a particular variety or "style." You must decide if you are in the market for light and fruity with some residual sugar, medium body with a slight tannin (the "bite" in young reds,) or deep and concentrated flavors with the very characterisitic dry, almost astringent after-effect (note-I never say "after-taste, because taste is such a subjective term!).

Your best bet is to try experimenting with a few wines and find out if there are any tasting clubs in your area. I wish you many "good tastes" in your adventure!

As far as the cholesterol issue, there are many NATURAL ways to reduce LDL cholesterol, while increasing HDL! I am a nutritional advisor and herbalist, so if you are interested in more info then feel free to send me a private email. I think a detailed response here would be very long winded and very off-topic:)Warm regards,

Lori Schuster

Just as an update. I bought an inexpensive bottle of hearty burgundy. The lady that sold it said it was their most popular drinking wine which was also used for cooking.

Well, honestly, it tastes vile. I just don't know if it IS vile, or that my tastebuds will render that verdict for all wine. I'll keep you informed.

well if you use cooking wines all the time, my recommendation is to get a bottle of dry vermouth for your white cooking wine (it is a fortifired and herbed wine and is wonderful for cooking) and a pinot or merlot or light burgundy for the red (which can also serve for your occasional sip. You may even want to try an inexpensive box wine...it may serve your needs both for cooking and the occasional sip very well, and it keeps well as the air doesn't get to it.

White Cooking Wine..

Vermouth.. that's something I never thought of using. Will have to try that. I use Burgundy or Merlot for a red wine, as apparently most people do. Of course I keep a bottle of Marsala around too.

just about red wine in general...often you will hear about letting the wine breathe...sometimes red wine needs to get oxygen in it to taste smooth ... so let it sit a bit...you may enjoy the taste a bit more.

My wife is definitely not a red wine drinker. When the menu dictates, she prefers a Pino Noir. ANother red wine she actually buys for herself is Shiraz. Both are easy on the pallet and the Shiraz can be easy on the wallet as well. The Shiraz she buys is only like $6.00 at the local grocery store. The brand is Yellow Tail and it is a true Aussie Shiraz.

Back
Top Bottom