Red Wine Sangria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
I got this recipe from a lady that visits Barcelona every year - she learned to make this in Spain.

Sangria

1.5 liters red wine *
3 -4 oranges
1 lemon
1 cup chopped fruit (such as cantelope, strawberries, apples, use what you have)
1/2 c rum
2 T sugar
Sprite, 7 Up or tonic water

Juice one of the oranges and add the juice to a large container, slice the remaining oranges and lemon and add to the container. Add the sugar, rum and wine. Stir well. Add the remaining chopped fruit.

Let the sangria rest for at least 2 hours before serving. Just before serving add the tonic water or Sprite to the large container of sangria (I add the cola to the individual glasses instead of pouring it into my sangria container)

Makes alot - serves 12?

**Note - use cheap red wine for this recipe, it works best. I use the Rossi brand jug wine, I buy their sangria 1.5 liter jug.

It's a pretty good recipe for someone like me who doesn't like alcohol. I would be as happy as a lark if Prohibition ever came back. I like it in some dishes, but not to drink, even in mixed drinks.

This seems more of a punch than actual sangria, which is zinfindel, brandy and a bit of citrus.
I agree, if you are going to dump sprite into wine, it really doesn't matter what you buy...:ermm:

never seen sangria with rum in it
my spanish friends make theirs with brandy...jerez brandy to be exact
and only red wine, brandy, curacao (orange liqeur....most bars use blue curacao but you can get clear), orange juice, lemon juice and lime juice
some new fangled bars add berries and sprite/7up/ginger ale but i agree that is now a punch

obiwan9962 said:
never seen sangria with rum in it
my spanish friends make theirs with brandy...jerez brandy to be exact
and only red wine, brandy, curacao (orange liqeur....most bars use blue curacao but you can get clear), orange juice, lemon juice and lime juice
some new fangled bars add berries and sprite/7up/ginger ale but i agree that is now a punch

Give yourself a treat and try using Cointreau instead of Curacao.
2-3 parts Cointreau, 4 parts brandy, and 25-26 parts wine?

I was looking for a sangria recipe lately and was absolutely amazed at the search results I found. On the Foodnetwork site alone there must have been 50!
The one I used combined a bottle of white (I used a Pinot Gris), a bottle of red (I can't remember what I used ... must have been a cab since that's what I always have on hand), oranges/lime/lemon, brandy and club soda. It was delicious! To pick it back up the next day, I just added a little more wine left over from the night before (I know, rare occurance), a splash more of club soda and some sliced peaches. Yummy all over again.

While I wouldn't use the Sprite, it's always nice to have more options in the ole' drawer. Thanks for sharing Toots!

I make red sangria all summer long. I buy a case or 2 of cheap but drinkable red wine and a few bottles of brandy to have on hand.

Wine, brandy, juice from oranges,lemons and limes, cut up fruit, sugar (I use way more than 2 T) and club soda. Sometimes I'll use Orangina and club soda.

Yesterday's was truly delicious. Enjoyed while grilling steaks after a long day fixing up house and garden. I used peaches and apples and the apples tasted spectacular on their own.

I "refreshed" what was leftover with a bit more of everything for tonight :pig:

Help me decide on which one of these recipes to make Tuesday. They all sound great. I'm serving paella to my friends but was recommended a nice white dry wine. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom