Safe to store martini glasses in freezer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should be safe, but personally I would not bother. I chill my drinks by shaking with ice instead of chilling the glass. Chilled glasses will sweat and get water everywhere. Not the end of the world, but I see no reason (for me) to do it when I can chill the liquid instead.

Yes, they'll be fine. Have everything ready before you finally add your martini, directly from the shaker, into the frozen glass. You'll get that nice glaze of ice on the glass that you are looking for, but not on the stem. That will just be cold to the touch for a few minutes.

The biggest problem you could encounter is that they get knocked over in the freezer. Be careful if that happens because it will be very dangerous, not to mention difficult to get the shards of glass out. If you have room, put them in a baking pan first, and then put the pan into the freezer. Makes moving them around easire.

I'd prefer storing the gin or vodka in the freezer
I used to do that too until I learned that part of the drink (martinis at least) is the little bit of water that comes from the ice melting when you shake or stir it with the gin or vodka. The ice does not melt at all if it is from the freezer. After doing a side by side taste comparison I found that I much preferred the alcohol at room temp and chilling it with ice in the shaker. It made for a much smoother final product.

Another vote for keeping the gin in the freezer.
I've found I prefer my martinis' taste that way rather than shaking w/ ice. To each thier own. I can't say I'd turn down a martini, either shaken OR stirred!!!!

:)

Keep the booze in the freezer, not the glasses. While they won't shatter just sitting in there, they'll ultra shatter if someone isn't thinking and knocks one out of the freezer. It's best to freeze the booze and then chill the glass with a quick scoop of ice just before pouring.

I have worked as a bartender for many years and in many bars. I have never seen a bar that does not keep the martini glasses in a freezer or cooler. I believe it is a part of the elegance of a martini to have a glass with the chill and smokey look. Nothing will happen to the glasses if you keep them in the freezer,unless you knock one out. If this happens, cold or not, it will break because martini glasses are fragile. So i would say that just make them how you like them personally. You are the one drinking them.

I catered a party a few years ago and made rosemary martinis they were wonderful. 2cups sugar 1cup water (simple syrup) when hot add rosemary and leave in syrup until cool. garnish martini with a sprig of rosemary. i have hedges of rosemary and lavender cannot get enough of it

Tried to store mixed martinis in the freezer once. They didn't taste the same. Had the sweat problem with freezer glasses. Now I fill the glass with crushed ice, mix the martini with cubes. Pour out the crushed ice. Everything will be cold.

Sure. That's actually where my martini glasses are kept in case some people show up and want drinks. I mean, shaking or stirring a cocktail with ice is essential, but most bartending manuals I've seen tell you to either keep them in the freezer or fill them with heavily iced water to chill them while you mix the drink.

Back
Top Bottom