SANGRIA suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mexican mama

Senior Cook
I want to serve sangria for a friends birthday..im kinda confused on what kinds of fruit i can put in it and the best wine to use..any suggestions???

scb-sangria-0806p96-l.jpg

Sangria

Makes 6-8 servings

1 x 750ml bottle pinot noir
500mls lemonade
250 mls orange juice - unsweetened
2 tablespoons sugar
Add slices of lemon, apple, peach + 2 cinnamon sticks.
Serve over ice

OR

1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
Heat all together, stir until sugar has dissolved. Pour over orange slices into a large jug, cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove cloves and cinnamon stick. Add a 750ml bottle shiraz to the orange juice mixture. Just before serving, add 750mls lemonade. Serve over ice.

I'm partial to honey as the sweetener with peaches, nectarines, mangoes, passion fruit and blueberries myself, but I believe most any fruit will do. I've seen it made with everything from pineapple to star fruit (carambola). Oh, and triple sec as the alcohol and a sprig of mint as a garnish.

It seems to be a drink of the imagination in which there is no absolute set of ingredients beyond the fermenting of fruit in wine, only suggestions. And by the beginning of your second round, you'll have lots of new ideas... :ROFLMAO:

Oh, and as for the wine? This may sound strange, but it's true none-the-less... the Spanish swear by using the cheapest red wine you can buy. Anything expensive would be a waste because you are changing the nature of the wine with the fermenting fruit, plus when you add the hard liquor splash (triple sec, brandy, cointreau, etc.)

I like to put oranges, berries, apples and peaches for variety. I agree that any fruit will do. My friend likes to make a citrus one where she puts lemons, limes and oranges in it.

fruits

Thanks y'all for the suggestion and il keep it all in mind especially when in comes to buying the wine...

Back
Top Bottom