Sazerac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
In honour of New Orleans and to celebrate the continued restoration of one of the most magnificent cities in the world, it's going to be a sazerac weekend around here.

I keep a bottle of authentic Absinthe in the house for just such ocassions. It was spirited out of Hungary two years ago.

First, you swirl some absinthe in the glass to coat, and then discard ( I never discard alcohol of any kind:angel:, we usually just shoot it, it's really not that much), then you add the bourbon, peychaud bitters and some ice. It's the kind of drink that makes you smell the honeysuckle, and hear the humidity dripping off the leaves at the same time.

It's been almost one year since all our lives were changed by Katrina. It doesn't matter where you live, if you are an american, you have been effected. Please don't forget the Gulf Coast. And please raise a toast to survival and restoration.

Laissez le bon temps roule

VeraBlue said:
it's going to be a sazerac weekend around here.

I keep a bottle of authentic Absinthe in the house for just such ocassions. It was spirited out of Hungary two years ago.

First, you swirl some absinthe in the glass to coat, and then discard ( I never discard alcohol of any kind:angel:, we usually just shoot it, it's really not that much), then you add the bourbon, peychaud bitters and some ice.

To quote Homer - "Your ideas are intruiging to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter..."

Hmm. I appear to be lacking all the ingredients except bourbon, must correct that situation...

John

Hey RonJohn, you can always just sip the bourbon for this weekend and figure out a way to procure the other two ingredients at your liesure.

I was never able to find the peychaud bitters here in northern NJ...so I picked up two bottles the last time I was in NOLA. :ohmy:

Vera:

Sazerac Company, Inc.
info@sazerac.com
504-849-6400

they can either send them to you, or tell you where in your area they can be found. Their web site says so! :)

Man! I sat on Marcelle Bienvenue's back porch on the Bayou Teche and enjoyed those..... wonder how she's doing..... :ermm:

Hey, June, I'd much rather pick up the bottles in person, ya know:w00t2: Lou and I have tentative plans to return in March.

I hope you have a great weekend!

I was just about to ask a question about absinthe when i saw this post, this sounds like something I would like to try.

We are planning a party and this should make it go with a bang!

LP

ChefJune said:
Vera:

Sazerac Company, Inc.
info@sazerac.com
504-849-6400

they can either send them to you, or tell you where in your area they can be found. Their web site says so! :)

Man! I sat on Marcelle Bienvenue's back porch on the Bayou Teche and enjoyed those..... wonder how she's doing..... :ermm:

Jeez, ChefJune, do you know the right people! i have Marcelle's cookbook entitled (and I looooove the title) "Who's Your Mama, Are You Catholic, and Can You Make a Roux?"

At this point, Lou and I are scheduled to return Feb.18 through the 23rd!

I expect to be drinking sazeracs by 5pm on the 18th!

Hi Constance

If pressed to compare absinthe to something recognizable, licorice would be the closest thing I can think of. Having said that, real absinthe has extremely complex flavours enhanced by the wormwood.

Wanna try some:devilish:

VeraBlue said:
Hi Constance

If pressed to compare absinthe to something recognizable, licorice would be the closest thing I can think of. Having said that, real absinthe has extremely complex flavours enhanced by the wormwood.

Did someone say wormwood? :angel: :whistling :angel:

John

VeraBlue said:
I like you Ronjohn..:-p

Why thank you! The feeling's mutual!

Truthfully, that wormwood stuff isn't that hard to find if you know where to look...:angel:
(And YES, I am talking about LEGAL means!)

John

Last edited:
VeraBlue said:
Hi Constance

Vera-You have enough for me to try too????:whistling My daughter stopped home for a visit yesterday-could sure have used a shot of something then!!!!:wacko:
How's your daughter doing???Wishing you both only the best!
Love and energy,Vicki

Of course I wanna try! Let the good times roll! We Illinois girls love to party!

Back when I had the greenhouse business, I grew a lot of perennials, and wormwood was one of them. Artemesia absyintia is an attractive plant, and first cousins with the more familiar varieties...Silver Mound, Powis Castle and Silver Queen. The fragrant herb, Sweet Annie, is another artemesia. You may have seen wreaths of it at herb fairs.

Good morning, Ron, Vicki and Constance

I've been to a couple of parties in the city that featured home made absinthe. The stuff was barely palatable:sick: and highly suspect:LOL:. That just goes to show you that anyone with a desire and an inclination and a mixing bowl can have absinthe. Store bought is much tastier, although, admittedly, an acquired taste.

My daughter is fine, thank you for asking. She's enjoying living in the city she loves. She loves the freedom and enjoys the responsibility. She's been home for one evening, and a couple of afternoons she popped in, then popped back out:(. If you gave your daughter a shot of absinthe, she would have fessed up to anything you ever suspected her of:ohmy:!

Constance, I've never been to Illinois, but if you are game for a green fairy visit, then Illinois is alright with me:ROFLMAO:

I do not want to go to work today! See you all later.

Back
Top Bottom