"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Freeze whole strawberries. Pop one into your glass of sparkling and it will keep it cold AND be good to eat afterwards! Grapes work nicely too, but, they don't absorb like strawberries...and it might be redundant!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Take halved or quartered strawberries and roll them in sugar...Put the sugared strawberries into the champagne flutes/glasses and fill with ANY, including CHEAP champagne. It's a knock out presentation and makes the champagne much more enjoyable for even the anti-champagne person... :)
I set up a Christmas dinner party at our local Country Club for my solos group in early December. Fifty-six women showed up and the caterers gave us all champagne cocktails with the sugared strawberries floating in the glass. It was very impressive. Such a simple thing and it was a hit with everyone. It added an interesting touch of class.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Take halved or quartered strawberries and roll them in sugar...Put the sugared strawberries into the champagne flutes/glasses and fill with ANY, including CHEAP champagne. It's a knock out presentation and makes the champagne much more enjoyable for even the anti-champagne person... :)
I'll have to remember that - it would definitely help those who don't really like the dryness.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I like Dom Perignon '96, especially if someone els brings it!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bulander View Post
I like Dom Perignon '96, especially if someone els brings it!
OH OH OH OH - '96 was a GREAT vintage for sure for Dom! Unfortunately, unless it's in a private cellar, your basic distributors don't have it anymore
The latest vintage is still good - but not like '96!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #16
Executive Chef

LOL...My Mom and DW love Ballatore spumante. lol....waaay too sweet for me, plus I'm not into bubbly stuff. At $7 you can't go wrong....if you like that sort of thing. They can't get enough of it.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I so, so, so, SO miss "Paul Cheneau", which was a cava from either Spain or Portugal. Lovely sparkle, fabulous flavor (neither too sweet nor too dry), & priced more than right at around $8.99 bottle before it disappeared several years ago. I used to buy it year-round by the case. While I've heard that it's still being produced, unfortunately it's apparently no longer being exported to the U.S. So I'm stuck with Freixenet.
I saw Paul Cheneau in a wine store in Jersey City last week. It's still around. Have your retailer check his distributor's book. You might be surprised.

There are lots of better options than Freixenet, imho. It's only marginally better than André.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #18
Master Chef

Thanks for that heads up June. Several years ago when it first disappeared from stores here in VA, we did have one place look into getting us a few cases & they said that while it was still being produced, it was no longer available from whatever distributor(s) they used. I'm definitely going to have to try again as, New Year's aside, there was nothing like an ice cold glass of Paul Cheneau with some nice fruit & cheese on a warm summer evening. Or paired with some wonderful seafood dinner. Or, or, or. . . . - lol!!

As far as Freixenet, I don't think it's close to being as bad as Andre (or Cook's), but it certainly isn't Paul Cheneau.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Breezy, if your retailer gets Freixenet, they can also get Segura Viudas Aria, which is head and shoulders better a Cava. The Freixenet company also imports Segura Viudas. Ask them for it.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Thank you so much for this, June. I know very little about wines so this really helps.