St. Patrick's Day Drinks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For green mixed drinks, buy a bottle of Irish wiskey and make the traditional whiskey cocktails (whiskey sours, etc...) with a drop of green food coloring. Midori Melon Liquor is green and their website has cocktail recipes, many of which are green.

Visit me: <link removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Irish eyes martini

There are lots of sites that come up when you google St. Patrick's drinks - the drink Irish Eyes came up on a few.

Click here for "Irish Eyes" (Irish whiskey, green creme de menthe and cream) - sounds yummy to me. :-p

For beers - I like Guinness when I want something really stout, but in a more mellow mood I like Harp or Killian's Red. If I'm in between - I get a 'af-n-'af (half a glass of Guinness and half a glass of Harp).

For Irish whiskey - I have to remain true to the origin of my ancestors, Cork in County Cork ... so I drink Paddy's.

Try a Paddy Cocktail

3 parts Irish Whiskey
1 part sweet vermouth
Dash bitters
cherry

Magnificent!!!

I made 100s of these when I bartended.

A black and tan, isequal parts stout (Guinness or otherwise) and lighter colored ale, often a Bass Pale Ale or Harp's lager. Many an Irish barman will tell you that a layered black and tan is simply a Yank affectation and that in the homeland the two beers are simply poured together. But if you want to get all fancy, here's what you do:
  • Pour your pint half full of ale.
  • Now either slowly pour your stout in by letting it hit the side of the glass, or by letting it stream over the back of a spoon. And sure as Bob's you're uncle – a proper black and tan.

Yep - know what you're talking about HB ... half-and-half is just poured together ... it's only the Brits and the "sophisticated" Yanks, and college students that thought they were sophisticated because they went to a very expensive local college (TCU), that order a black-n-tan at the little Irish pub I used to frequent some years ago.

There is no such thing as a bad Irish whiskey!

However, mixing good Irish whiskey with Vermouth? The only things you mix Irish whiskey with is a stout/lager/ale back, good friends, and good music! Okay, exceptions would be Irish Coffee - or Bailey's.

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
Yep - know what you're talking about HB ... half-and-half is just poured together ... it's only the Brits and the "sophisticated" Yanks, and college students that thought they were sophisticated because they went to a very expensive local college (TCU), that order a black-n-tan at the little Irish pub I used to frequent some years ago.

There is no such thing as a bad Irish whiskey!

However, mixing good Irish whiskey with Vermouth? The only things you mix Irish whiskey with is a stout/lager/ale back, good friends, and good music! Okay, exceptions would be Irish Coffee - or Bailey's.

Try it...it's very very good.

I know this is cheezy, but when I lived in CT at St. Patty's day timeframe, the local McDonald's would serve 'Shamrock Shakes', ~ mint ice cream with food coloring for their shakes. This, I might do for the family, b/c I think Bluebell ice cream has mint chocolate chip that is green ...

Toots said:
what about a shandy? its half beer and half lemonade.

Also, don't forget about hard cider. When I was in Ireland the Bulmer's did me in. One barkeep told me she would only serve me 2 Bulmer's because it was "lunatic soup". Its a very strong Irish cider.

hmm, i'll have to try it with lemonade sometime. most of the shandys that i've seen were 50/50 beer and 7up. it's a good bartender's drink, since it's slow to get you drunk, being diluted.

only 2 bullmer's? (aka magner's irish cider).
toots, i've been known to toss back a dozen or so, and then pay the piper the next day. ;)

it's not for those with g.e.r.d. or other acidy stomach problems. and it cleans the pipes all the way through. :ermm:

lol about lunatic soup. a friend from co. down calls ireland "an open air asylum".

buckytom said:
hmm, i'll have to try it with lemonade sometime. most of the shandys that i've seen were 50/50 beer and 7up. it's a good bartender's drink, since it's slow to get you drunk, being diluted.
I think that "lemonade" in the UK means what we would call 7-Up or Sprite in North America.
Anybody confirm that?

Back
Top Bottom