Storing Opened Sake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dio S

Assistant Cook
Is it possible to store opened sake using one of those vacuum wine stoppers? I have one of these and it works fine with wines, but wondering if it will work on sake since it can be very delicate.

Basically I want to get into trying different sakes, but there's nobody I know who'd share with me, so I want to drink a bottle of daiginjo over say a week. Wondering if it's feasible. Help appreciated.

Those vacuum stoppers have been proven to not do anything. You would get the exact same results with just putting a regular stopper back in the bottle.

I am no expert, but I would guess that the Daiginjo would be fine for a week.

GB, you mean I've been yanking on those things for years for no more than a perceived benefit?

I'll tell you what Andy. Do a test and tell us. Take two bottles and open them at the same time. Have your SO help you. Each time you pour a glass one of you gets from the vacuum sealed bottle and the other gets from the non vacuum bottle. See if you can tell a difference.

I'll tell you what Andy. Do a test and tell us. Take two bottles and open them at the same time. Have your SO help you. Each time you pour a glass one of you gets from the vacuum sealed bottle and the other gets from the non vacuum bottle. See if you can tell a difference.

But that would involve sharing my wine with her...

Make her buy her own bottle. Better yet, make her buy both and have her share with you.

Now you're talkin'!

I did a quick search and the concensus apppears to be that the most you can expect is a couple of days of drinkabilty. That's enough fo rme.

If you want to keep a wine longer than a week, you might want to try the inert gas caniisters. I have good luck with them. I also use the vacuum pumps, but seldom is a wine kept in my home longer than a couple of days. I have stored whites in the referigerator for over a week with a vacuum seal, and have not found any problem.

A bottle of wine doesn't have any chance of lasting a week here. I drink it over 2-3 meals. SO keeps her whites in the fridge or uses box wines.

Those gas canisters have been shown not to do anything either. I wish I still had the link, but I got rid of it.

I have a bottle of white in my fridge from almost 2 weeks ago that is still fine. Or so my wife says.

White wine will probably be fine. But sake I am not so sure.

Anyway, I'm thinking of the big fat bottles the daiginjos usually come in. I can drink everyday at dinner and it'll take about a week to finish since I go out to eat a couple days a week already.

I think your best bet is to just do the best you can. open it and drink it and hope it does not go bad before you finish it. Invite some friends over to help you out.

I think that I must gently disagree with those dissenters on Vacuvin and inert gas. I have used both with fair results. However, I have not tried to keep Sake, and no wine storage system has ever been tested longer than 4 days on my kitchen counter.

Back
Top Bottom