"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Alcoholic Drinks

Old 04-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Head Chef

Strangest Beer you ever had?

What's the strangest/weirdest beer you've ever had?

For the sake of good taste, I'll leave the 'extreme' beers Larry Bell of Kalamazoo Brewing Company made for the National Hombrewer's Conference in Chicago a few years back out of this. Let's just say there were ingredients in those beers that should NEVER be used in beer!

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Executive Chef

not real fond of those fruity beers like appricot pilsner or raspberry wheat. sorry, just not for this full hop kind of guy. Like my IPAs! did have a great brew pub Christmas Ale with juniper and cinnamon...that was awesome!! Shoul dcall it deep woods and do it in the heat of summer too!

Old 04-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I had a blueberry ale once. That was nothing like what I expected. Like Robo, I am not fond of fruity beers, but this one was great. There was zero sweetness to it. There was the faintest hint of the flavor of blueberry, but unless I was told that ahead of time I don't think I would have ever guessed that is what it was. The reason I picked it as my strangest beer is that they actually put a small spoonful of blueberries in the glass. That really did seem strange to me, but I liked it a lot.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Head Chef

I had some kind of Leinenkugel's raspberry beer. It was *disgusting.*

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Pearl beer is horrible...

Later
Old 04-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I once had a smoked green chili beer at this brew pub it was awful and the worst part was I spent my last 2 bucks on it.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Bud Light. I usually have such high standards and would never under normal circumstances put such pisswater like a domestic standard brew in my body. I don't know what I was thinking.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I'm with poppinfresh. Bud and Bud lite is horrible, yet it is the most popular beer in America. We have alot of micro brew beers here, but I know I wont like them, with that fruit added to it. I do prefer domestic beer, I hate ale, and heavy beers. My hubby likes Stella Artois, a belgian beer, but to me it smells like a skunk!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Executive Chef

My husband works as security on the ranch we live on, one of many owned by Ted Turner he patrols the ranch looking for trespassers catches poachers of fish,elk,deer etc he says every bad guy he catches or where he finds evidence of trespassing they drink only one kind of beer.YEP You guessed it it's Budweiser.He also hates the taste of it.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
Senior Cook

The second worst beer I ever had was a Berliner Weiss, in a night club in Berlin. It was a Weissbeer, all wheat floated over a sour rapsberry syrup. Just awful.
But the worst beer ever was at my fiend's house after his daughter was married the day before. They had several cases left of Coors Light...nobody would drink it. That is the most tasteless excuse for beer I have ever encountered.
I had half of it and threw out the rest. I did snag a six pack of it however and used it to rinse out my kegs after I sanitize them, and before refilling with something worth drinking. I called it my keg-wash beers.