Substituting amaretto liqueur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Where can I find amaretto liqueur? And are there any substitutes for it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Amaretto is a common liquor found in any liquor store. It has an almond flavor to it. I suppose you could substitute it with almond extract and dark rum perhaps.

For a lot of these types of substitutions - you can also check the places that sell the syrups/flavorings that the coffee places use. I know they have hazelnut at the coffee shop downstairs at the office - When they open back up at lunch I'll look to see if they have an amaretto.

John

ronjohn55 said:
For a lot of these types of substitutions - you can also check the places that sell the syrups/flavorings that the coffee places use. I know they have hazelnut at the coffee shop downstairs at the office - When they open back up at lunch I'll look to see if they have an amaretto.

John

Yes, they do indeed. I am sure you can get it at places like Starbucks or Borders. If you use the syrup just make sure to modify the amount of sugar, as the stuff is very sweet... otherwise I am with Home Chef, almond extract + drop of rum.

Thanks guys. I didn't want to make the big expense of buying a bottle of amaretto so I substituted it with almond extract. It was to make almond cookies.

For future reference, you can find lots of different liquors in very small bottles called nips (at least that's what we call them around here). They hold just enough for one drink. Perfect for recipes and for trying stuff you never hade before.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom